Chapter 11

[One week to Y/N's wedding, three weeks to Malleus's wedding]

Y/N took a seat in the little iron chair and slumped against the back of it. How long had it been since she had last spoken properly with Lilia and Silver, just the three of them? Once upon a time, she had spent every moment at the castle, helping Lilia raise Silver into the man he was now becoming, and though she had often seen him in the village, she had abandoned him when she stopped coming to the castle. He was twelve when she had left, and for the past five years, she had hardly seen him.

"I'm sorry, Silver," Y/N said, gazing at the boy. 

Silver flinched, surprised that Y/N was apologizing. What was she apologizing for? She hadn't done anything wrong. At least, nothing that he could remember. "What are you apologizing for, Y/N?"

Y/N gave a soft smile. "Because I left and didn't see you for five years." She leaned forward and took one of Silver's hands in hers. "You were everything to me, Silver, and I just left you. And I'll never forgive myself for that."

Silver inhaled sharply. He had forgotten most of his childhood. He remembered feeling the warm embrace of a mother-like figure growing up, but he never quite remembered who it was unless he really tried. And lately, he had spent so much time focusing on the young prince that he hadn't had time to think about the hole in his chest that had been left when Y/N had suddenly left the castle. 

He stood from his seat and moved to sit beside Y/N. He held her hand in his and laid his head on her shoulder, a small smile growing on his cheeks as he felt her wrap her arm around him, just as she used to whenever she read him stories. She would tell him stories of goblin wars that she had fought in, and the time that she had valiantly fought off a troll that was trying to destroy a village. She told him how boring her parents were being and how she would sneak out under the stars and venture down to the edge of the bluff where her manor sat to talk with the mermaids who came to the surface. 

"I forgive you," he whispered, shutting his eyes as he listened to Y/N's heart. The one sound that could calm him through anything. It reminded him of the times when she would put him to bed before leaving for the night, promising to return the next day. "I'm just glad you're back."

"We both are."

Y/N smiled at Lilia. She had missed spending time with him. She had missed spending time with both of them. They were like family to her, but when she left the castle, she had been forced to leave them behind as well. But at least Lilia knew why Y/N had left. They had both been sworn to secrecy, but Y/N felt better knowing that at least Lilia knew what was happening and wouldn't judge her for her actions. Y/N was fully aware of the fact that running made her feel like a coward and nothing more, but she couldn't help it. Sometimes, it was just easier to run than to face the fire, or in this case, the prince who seemed bound and determined to seek her out and break her heart into a million little pieces.

⚔⚜⚔

"Darli- Y/N?"

Y/N looked up from her book and smiled when she saw Aloren poking his head into her study. She had become rather accustomed to living in his house over the past few days, especially once she had been given her own study to set up. 

"You can call me darling if you wish, Aloren." It would do her well to have someone else using terms of endearment for her. Perhaps then she could finally get Malleus off of her mind and force him to the back where he needed to be.

Aloren smiled and took a seat beside Y/N on the small stool that she kept beside her desk for him. "If it is all right with you, darling," both smiled at the name, though it felt somewhat strange to Y/N, "would you give me a little pet name? I don't want to force you to but..."