Chapter 17

Y/N stared at herself in the mirror. In her hands was a bouquet of peach-coloured roses, the edges of the petals glimmering with golden sparkles, and a few light purple hyacinths tucked in between the roses. A veil hung over her eyes, hiding the way that her tears threatened to spill at any moment. Aloren had been kind to her. He would be kind to her. And this was for the best wasn't it? Malleus was married off to Lady Fayetta and would be crowned king in a short while after he finished the year at Night Raven College. And if she pledged herself to Aloren, she would be able to live a life far away from her mother's tyranny. She would be safe. She would be cared for. Her new family would see to that. 

Y/N lifted one hand and pressed it to the pendant tied around her neck. It was a gift from her new mother. Something old. It had been in Aloren's family for generations. A pendant that was given to the first daughter, whether that be a daughter born into the family, or to a woman who was marrying the son. 

Something new came in the form of the dress that Uira had made for her. The something borrowed was the shoes strapped to her feet, which had been her mother's once upon a time. And the something blue...

Y/N glanced down at the ribbon wrapped around the white bow at her hip. Malleus had given it to her the day that he had confessed that he loved her. It felt cruel that she was wearing something that had been given to her by a past lover on her wedding day, but she couldn't imagine getting married without it. Malleus was everything to her. 

There was a gentle knock on the door, and Y/N steeled herself. Uira poked her head in and smiled when she saw Y/N staring at herself in the mirror. 

"Are you ready?"

Y/N stared at herself for a moment longer. "Yes. I'm ready." Uira would be walking her down the aisle today. Not her father, and certainly not her mother. Uira. Uira, who had stood by Y/N for as long as the two girls had known each other. The girl who never failed to make her smile, who had made the dress for her, and who had promised to support Y/N when her parents wouldn't. 

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Uira said as she led Y/N from the room. Uira had decided to play the part of a father and was wearing a suit. Her mother hadn't been entirely pleased about it, but she let it slide, knowing that it meant a lot to the two girls. 

"You have nothing to be sorry for, Uira," Y/N responded as Uira led her from the room. It was hard to see beneath the veil, but Uira made sure that Y/N's footing was sure. 

"I'm apologising on behalf of that witch," Uira laughed. Y/N did not need to ask who she was talking about. Her mother. The one who was currently sailing back to her home with her husband, banned from the wedding. 

"It isn't even entirely her fault," Y/N whispered to herself. If Uira heard, she didn't question it. She simply led Y/N to the venue. The garden outside in the back. 

Uira led her down a maze of flowers, each one blossoming as the two girls walked past. Y/N knew that this was Uira's doing. She had always loved flowers, and Uira was doing everything in her power to ensure that Y/N's wedding was as close to her dream as possible. If she couldn't marry the love of her life, Uira was going to make sure that every other little detail was perfect. 

"Uira," Y/N whispered, "I'm scared."

Uira gripped Y/N's hand as she wound their arms together. "I know, sweetie. You have nothing to be scared of. I'll be with you the whole time."

"Thank you, Uira." Y/N let out a choked sound and covered her mouth with her hand. She didn't want to cry. This should have been one of the happiest times of her life, and yet, she was on the verge of breaking down right there and letting out all her pain and agony. She wanted Malleus. That was her dream. A dream that would be no more in an hour.