Unspoken Words

I stand in front of the Superstar Daycare, my hand on the large brass doorknob. I take a shaky breath, and Monty gives me a reassuring smile.

  "Goodluck Y/n. I don't know what's goin' on, but I'm sure it'll turn out okay," Monty says in an attempt to make me feel better. We exchange one last glance as he walks away. I focus my attention back onto the huge door in front of me. Slowly, I push the door open. The few children left for the day all turn and look at me.

  "Ms. Y/n!! Ms. Y/n!! You're back!!" squealed the little girl from before. I need to find out what her name is, I can't just keep calling her "little girl". I pat her head.

  "Y-yeah little one, I'm back," I let out an oomph as she tackles me in a hug.

  "I think Mr. Sun is sad since you were gone!! But maybe not, we haven't had naptime today, so maybe he's REALLY happy to be with us!!" she exclaims excitedly, blissfully unaware of the way her words wounded me. She ran off soon after, playing with some blocks with a few other kids. I walk further into the daycare, picking up some trash I see. Sun turns around, and we make eye contact for a brief second. I look away, tears pricking at the corner of my eyes, his last words to me echoing around in my skull. The rest of the shift was completed with no interaction between us.

  Before I even realize it, it's closing time, and the last kids are leaving with their guardians. I continue to clean with the arm that isn't in a cast, scrubbing until it hurts. 

  "Uh, Y/n," Sunny tries to start a conversation. I just shake my head, unable to speak to him at the moment. After a second, I hear him walking away. I finish up cleaning and go to my small apartment hidden in the daycare. I walk inside and lock the door, unable to handle any social interaction. I sit on my unmade bed and allow all of my subdued emotions to show again. I uncontrollably sob, laying on my side, shaking as deep cries rack through my body. I hear a knock on my door.

  "GO AWAY SUNNY," I scream out, " I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING TO SAY, I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ABOUT HOW MOON . . . IS MY FAULT!!" I hear something slide under the door; it sounds like a paper. A note maybe? I don't care. I don't want to see it. I roll over and eventually fall asleep, my body weary from all of the crying.

  I wake up, my entire being is sore. I groan as I get out of bed, and slowly shuffle into the bathroom to take a shower. After struggling to keep my cast from getting wet and still get clean, I throw on a t-shirt and some capri leggings. Preparing to go back into the daycare and help Sun get it ready for the kids, I remember the paper I heard. It isn't too far from the door, laying facedown. I pick it up, my hands shaking.

  Y/n, I am so, so sorry. I never should have said that. I don't know what I was thinking. They're trying to fix Moon right now, and they're going to try to see what is going on with his code. I'm not asking you to forgive me now, or even soon, but I really hope that you may be able to in the future. I feel so horrible. 

                                                                       -Sunny

  I look at the note, tears once again threatening to spill over. There were so many emotions from everyone, that night, after, now. I sigh. I can't hold it against him. If I had never come to the daycare, this might not have happened. 

  I open the door, stepping into the bright lights illuminating the daycare.

  "Sunny?" I call out softly, knowing he would hear me. He appears in front of me, slightly crouched, rays shrunk down. I didn't have to say anything, he knew from my look. He pulls me into a hug, and we stay that way for a while.

  "We need to get the daycare ready," I whisper, sad to break the moment.

  "It's Sunday, Y/n," Sunny smiles kindly, sadness still in his eyes.

  "Oh," I breathlessly laugh, "right. How are Moon's repairs coming along?" I cringe, feeling insensitive. Why would I say that, it's not something you just bring up in conversation, what's wrong with me? Why am I like this?

  As if they had listened in on our conversation, waiting for the perfect time, a mechanic from parts and service bursts through the door, out of breath as if they'd run the whole way here. 

  "Y/n? Are you Y/n??" They half yell, looking at me.

  "Yes, that's me," I say, confused about why someone from P&S would need me.

  "Moon is freaking out, we have him restrained but it's almost impossible to work on him like this. We can't power him down for this part, and he keeps mentioning your name, I was hoping maybe you'd be able to come and help calm him down?" The mechanic pleads desperately.

  "Oh, um, sure," I agree, I turn to Sunny, "I suppose I'll be back later, okay? I'll let you know how he is doing, alright?" He just nods, smiling sadly and fidgeting with the silicone on his fingers. I follow the parts and service person as they lead me through the plex, and down some rickety stairs. We eventually make it to a basement-ish area. In the center of the room is a large cylinder, made of mostly tempered glass. Inside of the cylinder, I see Moon, strapped down to some sort of chair/bed, thrashing around, trying to bite and claw anyone who comes near. We slowly near the cylinder, and I flinch every time Moon yells. They open the door and lead me inside. I jump as the door slams shut and seals, the mechanic jumping out last second. I look at Moon, who is sitting eerily still compared to how he was a few seconds. He is staring directly at me, and we hold eye contact for several seconds.

  "Moon . . ." I whisper, my voice cracking.

  "Y-Y/n?" Moon shakes his head as if trying to clear it. "What are you doing here?"

  "Hey, Moonie," I smile, my voice gaining a tiny bit more confidence. "I just came to see you. You need to let these people help you, okay? Sunny and I really miss you at the daycare, we need you." Moon seems taken aback at the last words out of my mouth.

  "You . . . need me?" He says, acting like the words were from a foreign language. "Y/n . . ." his eyes tear up, and the tears splash on the floor. I go up to him and hug him the best I can while he is strapped down. I hear a knock on the cylinder door; I turn back to see the same maintenance worker waving. I walk up to him, and he smiles sheepishly.

  "So, uh, we all kind of decided to leave for the day. You're going to have to repair Moon yourself! Haha . . . yeah, anyway here's a manual! And you can't say no, it's in your contact!!" He hastily says before they all leave.

  "Wait!! I don't know what I'm doing!! How will I even leave??" I call out to no avail, no one answers. It seems like everyone knows what's in my contract but me. I turn back to Moon.

  "Well Moonie, looks like it just you and me," I chuckle awkwardly.

1293 Words