The Light

Beep

Beep

Beep

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. . .

. . .

 I open my eyes, blinking in a futile attempt to clear the haze clouding my vision. After that doesn't work, I stand up, trying to get a clear view of my surroundings. I feel no pain, strange. Actually, I feel good. Light, happy, like all of my weights and tethers have been cut, like I can float. Looking around, I can't really make out anything, but there is a light in the distance. It's a mix of purple and green and blue, it beckons to me. I walk towards it slowly, dragging my feet on the ground. As I get nearer, I feel lighter and lighter, more peaceful. But something tugs me back. I don't want to leave, why don't I want to leave?? I feel trapped between the pull of the light and . . . something. What is it?? The background noise suddenly comes into focus. Soft humming. It sounds like whoever is humming is crying, their voice catching in their throat every so often. Who is that? They sound so familiar . . .

  Moon

  I finally recognize the soft melody gracing my ears, it's the lullaby Moon sang to me that day, in the ceiling. I find myself going towards the sound. The voice of my lover has a stronger pull than the light in the distance. Still, the world around me continues to get brighter and brighter. Ow, what hurts? Something in my chest stings more and more with each step I take. By the sixth step it's almost unbearable, tears running down my face. I gasp for air, the burning increasing exponentially.

  "Y/n? Can you hear me, starlight?" I hear a soft voice; it sounds like it's coming out of water. Another voice pipes up, "Sunshine? Sunshine, come back to us, we need you." Sunny's voice breaks at the end of his sentence, a soft sob echoing around. I try to go towards the voices, still fighting the pull of the light. I scream as the burning takes over my entire body. I can't. I can't go forward. I can't move. I'm sorry Sunny . . . I'm sorry Moonpie . . . I'm so, so sorry . . .

  I give into the pain. Everything falls away, the pain, the voices, the hazy world around me. Everything consumed by the light.