Chapter 31~

Spencer's POV:

Morgan and I close the doors to the SUV as we approach the new crime scene. Sadly, the unsub killed again like we thought he would. He dumped her body in another alley behind a club.

We show our badges to the cop standing in front of the police tape as we walk into the scene.

Chief Stanton greets us and rubs his head. He looks stressed and upset.

"I knew you guys said he was gonna kill again, but I didn't think he could do any worse with the bodies."

Morgan and I look to each other with confusion, and a bit of concern. What did the unsub do?

We walk closer to the dumpster to see the girls legs sticking out along with some trash.

The closer we walk, we now see what the chief meant.

Not only were her eyes taken, but he somehow beat her worse than the last three, and carved a word into her forehead.

'Whore'

Derek looks to me and begins to analyze the scene. "Well we knew he had a hatred for women because of unresolved issues with his mother, but this is overkill. Something that he didn't do with the other victims."

"This all stems from the mother." I say under my breath. I begin to process the scene and analyze what we know about him as compared to the last crime scenes.

"Reid. Don't hold out on me now. Spit it out."

"What if his mother's a prostitute?"

As I say this I see the wheels in his head begin to turn as mine did. "Okay. That explains the overkill on the prostitutes but then why start with the two low risk victims if it was about his mother all along?"

"He's a narcissist. He wanted attention. He knew if he started killing prostitutes that it wouldn't get as much news coverage."

"So he started out with Hannah and Isabelle to turn heads and once he got the media's attention he went after his ideal victim type."

"The type that is actually able to give him the release he's looking for."

Stanton takes a step back as if to longer be within eye-line of the body. However he looks confused. "If he hates his mother this much why didn't he just kill her when he decided he wanted to start killing prostitutes?"

"Could've been a counter measure. The women he kills are most likely much younger than his mother. He knew we would've figured it out if he had killed her." Morgan responds.

"He also could've been saving her kill for when he perfected his methods of torture and disposal. He knows he's only gonna have once chance to kill her and he wants to make sure it's perfect."

Stanton looks distraught, he may see a lot of crime here but this particular MO seems to shake him. And even though we've just made a good breakthrough, my mind once again begins to wander into more questions.

"Reid. What else?"

"If we've just found the possible motive for the copycat then what prompted the original unsub to start killing women?"

Morgan begins to think as we start to analyze the rest of the crime scene and try to find anything the police missed or that has behavioral significance.

"Maybe his mother was the same way and that's why him and the copycat were able to bond."

As he says this another possibility comes to mind for me. "Or.."

"Or what?"

"Or the original unsub is the copycats father." The expression on Morgan's face changes and I realize I have to explain myself. "We profiled that the original unsub was abusive. If he's the father of the copycat that would explain how they were able to bond despite their age gap and it would explain why he hates the original unsub so much. It also explains the hatred for prostitutes."

Morgan now seems to have caught up to speed with me. "The first unsub hated his wife and our copycat hates his mother."