Chapter 13 : Nameless

I stopped after sundown, without the sun I lost all directions. I must utilize the time to rest.

So far I've been picking up everything that moves and shoving it down my throat, mostly sand bugs, one time it was a snake, they would keep me alive for the night. I still have the goat skin, which served me like a warm blanket.

Not far into my sleep I was startled by engine from a far distance. I stayed still and play dead.

Headlights swept pass me, the engine stopped, followed by some chatting, a man and a boy.

"Do you think he's alive?" the boy asked in a local dialect.

"Be careful, keep pointing at him. I'm going to take a closer look."

I waited until they were next to me, poking me with their gun barrels, discussing what to do next. I caught the barrel of the boy, swung around and put him between me and the rifle of his father.

"Please!!" the father spoke in fear. "I thought you are dead. Please don't hurt my child!"

Using the boy as a human shield, I glanced at the vehicle, it was a farmer's truck, there was no one else.

"Please! You can take the truck, just leave us behind!" the father raised his hands to a surrender position, his rifle pointing up the sky.

"Drop the gun!" I said in their language. "Or I'll snap the boy's neck!"

The farmer dropped it instantly, kicking it to me like he has done this before.

"Where are you heading?" I asked.

"To Alqosh."

"What are you doing in Alqosh?"

"It's our home. We're coming back from the market in Mosul."

"What were you doing in Mosul?"

"We were buying pipes, for our water system."

"Liar!" I said, yanking the boy's throat. "Why couldn't you get your pipes from Duhok? It's right next to you!"

"No! Please!!" the father panicked. "Soldiers blocked the road to Duhok! If you don't believe me I can take you there and show you!"

"I'm not letting you take me into a trap!"

"Please!" the farmer begged again, this time dropping to his knees. "Tell me what you want me to do! I'll do anything you ask, just please don't hurt us!"

I assessed the situation, so far they showed no military skills, I could take them down easily.

"How far is Alqosh?"

"We've..." the man calculated. "About two hours."

I did the same math in my head. If heading north for two hours would get me to Alqosh, than I must be close to Bandwaya.

I picked up the two rifles, instructed the farmer into the driver's seat, but took his son hostage and sat at the back, away from his view. They posed no threat to me, but I needed to show who was in control.

"Drive." I instructed. "But we are not going to Alqosh."