Chapter 28 : Brooke

She headed towards where the soldiers were running away, which would usually be the heart of operation when a hive falls.

"Chloe!"

She kept calling on the radio, her signal maybe sealed off from the outside, but may still within reach inside the premises. She reached a tunnel and found two guards shooting through a door.

"Hey! Let me help you with that!"

The soldiers turned and saw a dark hair girl raising her rifle, under the barrel was a GP-25 grenade launcher.

There was no place to run in the dead-end tunnel, the grenade propelled to the door and exploded, turning the heavy door into shreds, the two guards seemed to have vanished into thin air.

"Chloe!" Brooke went into the room and turned.

The whole place was on fire, pictures on the walls discolored by the intense heat, bricks were falling from the roof, letting in waterfalls of sand and rocks.

Further into the room Brooke saw Chloe standing motionless in the sea of fire, staring at a burning flag.

"Chloe!" she went up and pulled her away from the flag.

Seeing Brooke again woke Chloe from her thoughts, realizing that she wasn't alone in this world, she still has her family, and they would do anything to protect her. She took one last look at the dying man, turned and ran out before the sanctuary collapsed.