The whistle

Overview: Bucky's in a bad place after a mission.

Word count: 1,956

Warnings: Blood, injury, angst, manipulation, comfort fluff.

*****

"Hostiles on the third floor. Buck, you're closest. We'll start making our way to you."

"Copy that." Bucky murmured into his earpiece, keeping his voice as quiet as possible. He was currently sneaking up a dimly lit staircase, his back pressed to the wall whilst both hands stayed glued to his gun. He was prepared to shoot at anyone he saw. Anyone.

The mission had been going pretty smoothly. It was a typical building takeover. Hostages and aggressive hostiles searching for high-security information. Easy. It didn't require many team members, either. Only Natasha, Bucky, Sam, and Steve.

No y/n. That was probably why Bucky was so on edge.

Even if he had Steve, it wasn't the same as having y/n on the mission. Her voice could always be heard on the earpiece, even if she was just talking to herself. It was a sort of thing that Bucky needed to calm himself down. He needed that dumb commentary or to know whatever song was stuck in her head. Without y/n, the missions were far more serious. Steve was constantly in focus mode. No reassurance, just instructions.

Bucky took a shaky breath as he approached the third floor, clenching his jaw tightly in an attempt to hype himself up. He could hear voices on the other side of the door, several of them. He was going to have to fight several people at a time. Now, that wasn't what made it hard for Bucky. He could take out an entire room with ease, but this time he wasn't supposed to kill them. That was what he was terrified of. He didn't want to add more bodies to the extensive list he already had.

The super soldier suddenly kicked the door down, a look of complete focus on his face as he started to attack the hostiles. "I count five. Not sure if they're armed." He announced through his earpiece, grunting as he quickly ducked under a punch. He quickly shot the woman in the foot, kneeing her in the head when she doubled up in pain. Bucky tucked his gun back into its holster, kicking the woman hard in the stomach to send her flying into the wall behind her.

"Four." Bucky murmured over his earpiece, starting to attack the next hostile that raced toward him. The man had a baseball bat in his hand, and he seemed very read to attack the super soldier. Bucky pulled a few throwing knives out of his pockets, flipping them in his hands as he prepared to throw them. However, just before he could, something made him freeze.

A whistle.

The whistle.

To anyone else, it just sounded like a whistle an owner would use to call their dog over. But, it was the exact same whistle that Hydra used for their soldiers. It was used to get their attention, to call them over, to disarm them. The whistle was ingrained in their brains, and whenever they heard it, they were forced to stop whatever they were doing and look over at the source of the noise. No code words, no memory wiping, just a traditional noise association, and it was rooted deep.

Bucky involuntarily dropped his throwing knives, his head immediately whipping around to find the source of the whistle. He was frozen in place, eyes wide with utter terror.