What if y/n had been sent somewhere else in endgame?

Overview: Y/n was sent to retrieve the Tesseract, but from somewhere completely different. (This was one of the other ideas I had for the endgame era!)

Word count: 2,409

Warnings: Kinda angst, kinda fluff - it's bittersweet.

*****

One. More. Mission.

One more mission, and then y/n would never have to put on a mission suit again. She'd have Bucky back, and they'd finally be able to settle down. Easy, right?

Y/n was tasked in retrieving the Tesseract, which contained the space stone. It was a lone mission, but that didn't bother her. She'd been sent back to 1943, and there was no way in hell she had any ties there. In her lifetime, she would've already been with Hydra for over twenty years. There was no possibility of her running into a younger version of herself.

The reason why y/n had been sent to 1943 was because there were records of a man walking around New York with a briefcase, and the briefcase was emitting a 'strange blue light'. It was obviously the Tesseract. The man was definitely a Hydra agent of some sorts, but that wasn't a problem for y/n. She could take him out in seconds.

Being dressed in clothing fit for the 40s felt like something out of a dream. Any normal person would've complained, and y/n was actually expecting to complain, but she loved it. She was all dolled up in a nice dress, makeup, and heels. She felt like she was in a sitcom. It was amazing.

Y/n had been following the man all day. Into stores, down streets, in cafes, tailor stores, everything. If her mission was to spy on the man and weed out other Hydra agents, she could've done a perfect job. But instead, y/n had to wait until he set the briefcase down. She needed to be quick with it, swap it out for an empty briefcase and leave. No witnesses. Nobody spotting her. Nothing that could mess up the timeline.

Despite being so happy to parade around all dolled up, she had to admit that her feet were killing her. Much more than her mission boots, which was a shock, but she'd never tell anyone that. Hell, all the walking around had tempted her into walking barefoot, but she knew she couldn't without receiving weird looks and mumbles, so she carried on. The man had to ditch the briefcase at some point, right? It was well into the night by now. But, just as she debated teleporting and grabbing the briefcase, the man turned into a place that made y/n let out an audible, frustrated laugh.

He'd walked straight into a dance hall.

A dance hall.

There definitely wasn't going to be any sitting down in there.

Y/n quickly followed the man inside, completely oblivious to the fact that a few people were staring at her. Nobody could blame them, she did just randomly laugh out loud. Y/n's complete focus was on trailing that man, nothing else. She just wanted to get back to the team and finally have Bucky back.

The dance hall was full of life. A live band was situated at the front, playing loud, upbeat music for the happy crowd. The dance floor was full of people. Old and young, all dressed up and enjoying their night. There wasn't a single smell to pin down in the hall. Alcohol, cigarette smoke, earthy colognes, and airy perfumes. Complete different scents, yet they all mixed together in an odd but comforting way. It was nice to just see everybody enjoying themselves.