Five more minutes

Overview: Y/n and Natasha are on their way back to the compound after picking up everyone's food orders.

Word count: 1,048

Warnings: None!

*****

"If the world was ending, and you only had five more minutes, where would you go?"

Y/n and Natasha were sat in the car together. Nat driving, y/n in the passenger seat. Tonight was the compound's 'junk food' night - which was typically every other day for most, but it was a rare occasion for Steve. Usually a junk food night wouldn't be a problem, they could just order everything through an app and get it delivered. But no, not the team.

Almost every single delivery driver in the city refused to deliver to the compound. There had been far too many accidents involving the team, and the delivery driver never left unscathed. It was pretty bad, actually, but the team didn't mean it.

Y/n, Thor, Peter, Scott, and Sam were the main culprits. They liked to play games whilst they waited for their food to arrive, but it almost always got out of hand. Just like the time where they were playing frisbee with Steve's shield, and Sam threw it just as y/n opened the door. Let's just say that y/n ducked down, and the poor delivery driver got hit in the head with the shield. That was a steep medical bill that Tony had to pay.

So, whenever the team had a junk food night, they had to drive out to the city and pick everything up. There was no point in piling everyone into cars, so y/n and Nat usually left and picked everything up in one go. The backseat was full of different bags of takeaway, from burgers to pizza to Chinese food. Everything. It definitely created an odd mixture of smells in the car, but neither of them seem to care. It was a nice break away from the chaos of the compound.

Natasha was busy sipping on her milkshake when she heard y/n's question. Her eyebrows raised, setting her milkshake to the side as she kept her eyes on the road. She hummed slightly at the question, fingers tapping away the wheel. "That's a deep question." She said with a nervous laugh, wondering if y/n was serious. "Are there any rules to it?"

Y/n shrugged, leaning back in her seat. Her eyes were glued to the many lights of the city as they drove, hands fiddling with her own milkshake cup that was seated on her lap. "I'm just curious," She hummed casually, enjoying the peace of their evening drives. "You can go anywhere you want without losing any time, and you can meet anyone you want. The only rule is that they have to be alive." She explained clearly. Y/n knew how easily the decision would've been for both of them if they could pick those that were dead. They'd spend time with their parents in a heartbeat.

Natasha nodded, letting out a long breath. It was a heavy question to answer, but y/n was right in keeping it to people that were alive. She would've gone and found her mom in a heartbeat, but that wasn't an option. "I would've spent those five minutes with my sister." She started, a small smile appearing on her face. She'd talked about Yelena before with y/n, so it wasn't a new topic. "I'd apologise for... everything. For not finding her sooner, for not protecting her like I should've-" Nat paused, picking up her milkshake again. She took a few sips, almost as if she was trying to drink away the guilt that she had over her younger sister. They hadn't seen one another since they were children, yet she still couldn't wipe the image of Yelena's terrified face from her mind. "And I guess I'd spend our last moments protecting her like a big sister should."

Y/n had turned to face Natasha when she started to talk about her sister, lips parted as if she was going to say something, but nothing came out. There wasn't anything she could say. It was a deep, painful subject, but it wasn't one that y/n regretting bringing up. It was good that they could talk about things like this together.

The pair stayed in a stale silence for a few moments. Just thinking and processing. It wasn't stale between the pair, it was just a heavy subject. It deserved some thought and emotion. However, Natasha could feel herself getting upset. The tears forming in her eyes were starting to blur her vision, turning the road in front of her into a streaky mess. She blinked hard, clearing her throat in an attempt to catch y/n's attention. "What about you, hm?" She asked. "You can't get me to spill my guts and not do the same." Natasha teased, forcing a grin.

Y/n smiled back, leaning her head against the headrest in thought. She could see the tears in Natasha's eyes, but there was no point in saying anything. If Nat wanted to, she'd open up and pour her heart out. She had to respect that boundary.

"Mine's not as original as yours." Y/n sighed, fingers drumming on her milkshake cup. "I'd just spend it with Bucky. Nobody else. Just me and him." She started, a small smile starting to appear on her face at the thought. "I'd take us to Wakanda, and we'd spend our last moments on one of the mountains, watching the horizon." She explained. It was short and sweet, but perfect in y/n's mind.

Natasha made a gagging noise, causing y/n to laugh. "You two are so in love, it makes me sick!" She exclaimed, setting her empty cup back down in the cup holder. "Look at you. You're smiling at the thought of spending time with Bucky. The world's hypothetically ending, and you're smiling." She laughed, her happiness just seeming to grow at the sound of y/n laughing. "You're literally going to see him in two minutes! You spend every day together!"

Y/n couldn't stop herself from laughing as Natasha continued to complain and tease. She couldn't help it. She was like a teenager with Bucky constantly on her mind. It was sweet, and she knew that Nat didn't actually mean any of the teasing. It was just typical older sister behaviour.

"You tease him for being a sap, but you're the sappiest person I've ever met!"