XVI - Traveling Roads

Broderick hadn't sat down once since returning to the hotel. He was on high alert after seeing his image displayed in the weekly paper. A part of him was glad that his face wasn't connected to the article before it, but the announcement of a missing lord was still large news. As he paced about the room, walking back and forth in front of the beds, Neville watched him with wary eyes. There was something terribly wrong, and though he couldn't read the paper laid out before him, he could determine Broderick's worry when his eyes caught the penciled portrait of the eighteen-year-old. They hadn't shared much words about the situation, but as it got closer to sundown, the tension sweeping through the atmosphere grew thicker.

Taking a stand at the window, Broderick looked out over the skyline of the village. The sun was nearly at its full descent, and soon he and Neville would have to leave unnoticed. But even that would prove difficult. He glanced over his shoulder then to a large trunk that sat pushed up against the foot of the beds. Inside was all of the money he'd come by since their escape began. It wouldn't be an easy task getting out of this building alone without anyone catching sight of them with such a possession. Not only was it a heavy load to transport, but...if dropped the wrong way, the weight could cause it to burst.

Earlier while Desmond Holloway was out, Broderick snuck downstairs to check the logs for how many guests were staying. There were two people on the floor above them, and one on the floor below. If they could keep the noise level down a notch, there would be no reason to call attention from the others.

Broderick's mind hadn't stopped racing since the late afternoon, but when he heard the voice of Neville from the bed, he was able to clear his thoughts long enough to focus. "Where will we go now?" the boy asked. "Can we have that place of our own you once spoke of?"

Hearing such an appeal, Broderick took a seat beside Neville on the bed. He cupped the boy's cheek and nodded, "Yes, but this time, we must travel much further than what I once thought essential. Everywhere we stop, I will have to inspect that it is indeed a reliable place for us to live, but just know, my love, that our future is out there and I will lead us to it."

Neville trusted the words coming from his lover, his protector. Ever since the first time he'd fallen into the luck of meeting Broderick, there was not a night that went by where he did not understand all that Broderick has done for him. To leave an entire life behind, to turn your back on the remainder of your family, to do anything that could risk backfiring on him, Neville clung to the trust that Broderick would not be held back by anything. He believed that no matter the obstacle, if there was anyone who could possibly find a way around it, it was Broderick Thorne. He knew very well that all Broderick has been trying to do for the past year is provide for him, forgetting about his own self sometimes just to be sure Neville had everything, and Neville was grateful for that. Always would be.

The room fell into complete darkness after several more minutes, the sun having gone while the moon and stars came out for the hours of night. Broderick watched the streets as they cleared, villagers finding their ways back to their homes. Soon there were just a handful of people still out, most heading to parlors and brothels that stayed open late for nocturnal patrons. Shutting the curtains, Broderick headed for the door, "I will be right back. I'm going to move the carriage in front so it will be easier to load our belongings. Be ready when I come back."

When he received a nod from Neville, Broderick went outside, making sure to stay in the shadows even though he remained without company. Behind the hotel, he led his horse to the belts of the coach and strapped her on. She seemed rather agitated for some reason, probably disturbed by the strain in her owner, but after a moment of minor struggle, Broderick was able to fix her to the mode of transportation. He led her around the three story building and stopped her in front, tying her to the post before the porch and then went back inside.