*NEW* XXIII - Together We Prosper

Neville had quickly taken a liking to Lucian's company after speaking with him at the bookstore. They bonded over their mutual love for poems and pies of almost all kinds, and it was the laughter that sparked between the two that made them want to meet again. Broderick didn't quite know how to feel about the rapid friendship that grew between the two, but immediately put it aside upon witnessing the happiness that bathed across Neville's sweet face. He believed the boy to be content with how their lives had been up until now. Sure, the disturbance last night had been unexpected, but other than that...he was sure Neville was happy...wasn't he?

The two rarely went to town together, if not only for a quick moment as this trip was supposed to be, and then they would hightail it back to the cottage and hide away. Broderick would never tire of having only Neville's company. After all, this person was all he knew he'd ever need to get by. His mind was at peace whenever they were alone, and he was almost certain his lover could say the same. But, was it true?

Simply witnessing Neville's cheerful interactions with Lucian, it was clear the boy was a social being. Was he relieved now that there was someone else in his presence he could speak with? Did he ever bore being around only Broderick? Of course it could be said he'd been lonely at the cottage, but Broderick had quit the shipping job to be closer, to be home more often. With the incredible amount of finances they had due to his previous actions, perhaps Broderick could stay home for a much longer time and seek work after some much needed downtime.

Even still, Broderick turned to Simon then, and said, "You have all the permission in the world to label me a fool after hearing what I have to say. Regardless, I know you and I aren't the most social beings, especially when it comes to spending time with others that are not..." he nodded to the window of the bookstore, Neville and Simon on the other side of the glass eyeing books that sparked their interest. "From what I witness, it appears my Neville has taken a liking to the company Lucian has provided. He was alone quite often while I boarded the ship, and although I have split ties with it...I would like for him to experience more than what company I can offer."

Simon nodded, "I understand that sentiment completely. If he is not home tending to his family's fields, Lucian comes to see me down in Reynolds despite how much I know he loathes the place. We will see one another more often after I take the position his father has offered me, but...we could never have a moment outside of that place. Reynolds is our only sanctuary."

"Why would he loathe the place then?" Broderick asked. "I figured the two of you had grown a mutual liking to the place."

Pursing his lips together for a moment, Simon dragged a hand back through his chestnut hair as if recalling a terrible memory. "It was last night that Lucian erupted at me about his true feelings towards the parlor. We used Reynolds as a haven, as a place we could be together and not be judged. He grows tired of the hiding, no matter how beneficial I remind him it is. I fear he may resent me someday if I cannot come up with a private existence of our own. Things are...expensive and I would not know where to hide ourselves."

"I see," Broderick bore witness to the heavy frustration all across Simon's face. He was a man, just as he was, a man who wanted to make it his life's purpose to provide and be able to love his one and only in solitude. They may have come from completely different backgrounds, but their mission was the same. "If you would be so inclined," Broderick continued, "I would like to invite you and Lucian to our home this evening. We could all have supper, if you'd be gracious enough, and afterwards I would like to show you something."

While he and Broderick had never spent time with one another outside of their previous duties, Simon couldn't lie that he had a hidden respect for the young man, especially after finding out he'd left behind his title, his noble status just to have Neville by his side. He wondered how easy it was to detach himself from his family that were currently in search of him. "I'll oblige you," Simon nodded, "It'll give Lucian something to look forward to."