Chapter 4

"You're awfully happy today," Sir Howell commented, his autonomous face forever unamused and expressionless. 

"Well of course," I began, taking a swing at him which he successfully blocked, "The Grand Duke is allowing me to be an adventurer." 

"That's good news." He continued to block to my frustration. I've never been able to beat him, but today I felt awfully confident. "Careful about your footing, remember sm-" 

"Smooth as water," I finished his sentence, also expertly dodging his attacks. Like he said, feel the water that flows through my body, make it enhance my strength and speech, but also feel my opponent's flow, predict their next move before they make it. 

"Whooo!" I heard some of the 4th unit knights cheer, taking a break from their training to watch me spar. "Beat his ass Mi'lady!" 

Feeling the energy rush through my body and to my blade I swung with all the might my 9-year-old body could muster, though it might have been too much as my blade made contact with his it quite literally exploded. The force sent me flying backwards, landing on my butt and skidding a few feet before coming to a complete stop. 

So many people ran to my side and were all talking on top of each other in a panic. 

"I'm fine!" I shouted over the chaos, "Just...what was that?" 

"You were able to use mana," Howell approached, the crowd parting for him as he held out his hand to help me up. 

"I thought you just use mana to control your element," I brushed off my trousers, ignoring the burn in my butt as it quickly healed itself. Perks of having a water attribute. 

"Only really good swordmasters can infuse mana into their weapons," Howell spoke just as Rebecca came barreling towards us. 

"Oh my god my lady!" She basically slid to her knees to look at me, shoving Howell easily away despite him being almost a foot taller than her, "Are you alright? Are you hurt? Do I need to call the doctor? You should take a break! It's almost tea time anyways! We can go out to the city to eat for diner!" 

I barely processed anything she said but I just nodded, noticing everyone was too shaken to keep training. It was best I take the rest of the day off. I calmed enough down from this morning, and I need to pick up a new sword in the city anyways. 

I looked down at what was left of my sword, which was basically the hilt, a bit saddened that it broke. It was Howell's old sword when he was a kid, but he didn't seem that bothered by it. Though I can never tell with him. 

A quick bath and change into a commoner's dress, Rebecca and I began to walk towards the servant's exit, stopped in our tracks by a not-so familiar face, but just doing an initial scan of his mana and flow it appears he's my older brother, Thresh. 

"Hello young master," Rebecca stepped slightly in front of me, trying to block his view of me but he pushed past her and stared down at me with a cold gaze. Like our father he has deep - borderline brown - yellow eyes. 

He towered over me, considering he's 6 years older than me. 

The only thing similar between us is our dark - nearly black - hair. Though his had a warmer undertone like our father's. Mine had a cool, almost blue, undertone you can only really see in the sun. 

I gave him a curtsy, as per proper etiquette, but he didn't reciprocate with a small bow like he was supposed to, instead he just gave me a disgusted look. 

"I can't believe we share the same blood." 

He said it quietly but it was loud enough for me to hear the hatred in his voice. With that he walked past me, making sure his shoulder knocked right into my head, though he was so tall it was more of his arm, which didn't hurt as much as he intended. 

Rebecca was quick to my side, steading me before I tumbled over. 

"Thank you," I smiled to her, maintaining a strong face despite once again wanting to cry. I have never seen my brother before but now I least know that I don't like him. 

At all. 

"Come on," Rebecca tried to make her best smile, "We can stop by the blacksmith first." 

I nod, holding my head low so that no one saw the tears welling up in my eyes. Maybe I should be happy about this. 3, sorta 4, of my family acknowledged by existence, but it wasn't happy. At least I can start adventuring and start saving up to leave this hell hole. 

Excuse my language.