Chapter 28

"She has a familiar?"

Harken asked, a bit amazed and afraid. She didn't have a familiar in the past. Or at least that's what he remembered. He admittedly does not know a lot about her.

Far as he knew, she did have a familiar while they were married, but he would never know.

"She started summoning him last year," Parter explained, watching Flontina and Lara disappear into the skyline, "Though it seems like she's has had him since she was a kid, but finally got strong enough to give him a physical form."

"Wow," Harken gaped, feeling an immense pride in her.

"Did she not have one in the past?" Parter asked, surprised if this was the case. She just seemed so naturally talented she surely had a familiar in a previous life. Of course, Parter understood how much work and effort she had put into her training.

"I'm not sure," Harken admitted shamefully, "I never really got to know her that well."

"That well? It's a massive wolf how could you not see it," Parter frowned, debating if he's ashamed or disappointed in his son. They mended their relationship over the years, seeing how much Harken tries to cares for Lara.

It was obvious that Harken had feelings for her too, and it was quite funny to Parter that Lara completely was oblivious. Or at least Lara only thought of him as a brother. It was so hard to watch that Parter felt bad for him.

"I was blinded by other things," Harken thought back in complete pain. A girl with blonde hair so light that almost glowed in the moonlight. Her eyes were crystal blue that they were like diamonds. She was what he thought angels would look like.

Compared to the rather dark and secretive, Laraine, this woman was the breath of fresh air. Of course, Harken never gave Laraine a chance, hell he doesn't even remember their wedding day or night.

Laraine on the other hand, remembered that night quite well. Well, in the past she remembered it quite well, now she didn't even know they were destined to marry. Though that could change too.

But Harken wouldn't even look her in the eyes, the one and only time he truly looked deep into her eyes was the day he sent her to her death. Her eyes were pleading and desperate with a tinge of fury, and he couldn't help but feel both angry and afraid of her.

"Harken! I was looking for you," Folkner ran up to the father and son pair only to immediately turn around and pray the older Winvestial didn't spot him. 

"Good morning Folkner!" Parter called out, and Harken stifled his laughter. Folkner was one of the knights from their land, and one of the only people who stayed loyal to Laraine. If there was one thing Harken appreciated his old friend for, was his headstrong loyalty and relentless morality. 

Taking a deep breath, Folkner plastered a large smile on his face and waltzed over to them.

"Hello Mi'Lord," Folkner greeted, bracing himself to the joyful pat on his shoulder that was more like a hammer going down on a nail, "Good morning to you too," he gritted out of pain. 

"Folkner, you don't even know how excited I was to learn you joined the adventurers guild!" Parter let out a hefty chuckle, "How do you like going on missions?" 

"It's great," Folkner stood up straighter, like he was giving a report, "I feel like I'm learning a lot on the field and I'm getting much better at mastering the earth." 

"Excellent, excellent," Parter nodded to himself, patting his son and Folkner roughly on their shoulders, "Well I'll see you boys at the meeting tonight." 

The strategy meeting planned after the first few scouts relay new information. 

As soon as Parter was out of earshot, Folkner gripped his poor shoulder, letting out a breathless 'ow' before crippling to his knees. 

Harken was much more used to his father's tough love just ignore the throbbing pain shooting through his body. Clearing his throat, Harken looked down at Folkner's dirt-brown hair, "Did you want to talk to me about something?" 

"No," he groaned, "Wait, yes I did." 

"About?" 

"Just about Lara," Folkner stood up, brushing off his clothes, "She seems...." he stared at Harken, gauging what he should say to make sure he doesn't invoke the wrath of the younger Winvestial, "Nice." 

"She's amazing," Harken grinned, seeing the opportunity to earn Lara an old ally. 

"Then I look forward to working with her," Folkner sighed in relief, leaning against the banister, staring at the horizon Lara and Flontina disappeared into, "She'll bean upgrade from Sephla."

"Tell me about it," Harken followed his friend in leaning on the banister, staring at the horizon as well, wondering if Lara found anything yet. 

"Why did you even accept her application in the first place?" Folkner questioned, "You went from accepting Yolanna to Sephla. A level 2 to a level 4, quite the skill difference considering the rest of us are level 2." 

Harken just shrugged. He remembered Sephla from the past, only remembering her as a pleasant girl. But the more he thought, the only reason he remembered her was being nice was because she was the best friend of that wretch. 

In her defense, that woman's, she was deceived too. But if her influence didn't affect Laraine's life the way it did, Harken might have held onto his feelings for her. 

"Well just a few more weeks of this right?" Folkner sighed, leaning his head over his hands and roughly ruffled his own hair, his fingers almost getting caught in his dark brown curls. "God I need a shower." 

The adventurers were discouraged from bathing frequently as water is not as available as it is in their country. 

"Wait," Folkner paused, "How is Lara able to use her powers here? Sephla had to use several amulets to even operate the mana vehicle." 

"She's amazing," Harken repeated, "Absolutely amazing."