Chapter 19

"So Kent," Flontina began, brushing herself off after we landed. She used her wind magic and literally carried us to location. Watching the ground flow beneath us was so bizarre but so fun. I've never felt so free, like the wind.

Howell always told me to be smooth like water, but honestly I've always craved the freeness the wind had. It could go anywhere, not confined by land, and cannot be contained.

"Why did you decide to become an adventurer?" Flontina asked, "No offense but I heard you were in retirement."

Kent just shrugged, "Retirement got boring."

We fell into a really awkward silence then. I had my suspicious regarding Kent but they only got stronger considering his terrible excuse. I had a sneaking suspicion that my father was involved in Kent's sudden interest in adventuring.

"Well then," Flontina nodded to herself, probably thinking of what else to fill this awkward silence with, "Lara, why did you want to become an adventurer? Other than putting those rather good sword skills to use." 

The moment we landed we were attacked by a group of rogue orcs. Part of the reason we were out here was the increase of monsters lurking around the forest and getting closer and closer to a nearby village. 

Easily slaying them together with Kent with the assist of Flontina, I was completely unharmed and ready for more action. 

I pondered for a moment, debating if I should be honest and I decided to just tell the truth. 

"I was dying at home," I kicked a rock, staring at my boot-clad feet, "Trapped and afraid of what my family thought of me, if they thought about me, and I wanted to see the world. The most I've seen was the streets of the capital but there is so much more out there." 

Flontina was dead silent, staring at me with shock and pity. I guess she was expecting me to say something really childish like, 'it seemed fun.' 

"Did you parents approve of this?" Kent asked. I could feel his gaze on my scarred part of my head as he looked down at me. Walking in between these two adults made me feel like a fish in a bowl. 

"My grandfather did, before this," I gestured to my face, pointing at the scar on my forehead, "They didn't stop me from leaving afterwards, so I guess that was their way of approving it." 

"Why do you think they don't think about you?" Kent asked, his questions starting to become very intrusive. 

"Kent!" Flontina scolded in shock. 

"It's fine," I sighed, thinking about it again, "Probably because I've never spoken to either of my parents for more than a few minutes. I don't even call them mother nor father, and they've never seemed bothered by that." 

Kent was silent for a second before whispering something I almost didn't catch, "You're father cares for you more than you think." 

Walking through the forest now in complete silence, we wandered closer to the river, and I could feel the water spirits calling for me to listen to them. They were snaped like melting snowmen only about 4 inches tall, bouncing around the air all around us, parts of their body dripping as they moved. As a wind and earth attributes, they couldn't see nor sense these spirits, but little did they know I could see glimpses of other spirits. 

"Is there monsters nearby?" I asked one of the spirits, who nodded it's watery head, "Lead us to them?" 

"You can talk to your spirits?" Flontina asked, agape. 

"Yes?" I turned to look at the two adults who were staring at me, one with a perplexed expression and one with a stoic one, "You can't?" 

Flontina shook her head, "It's quite rare for someone who be able to see their element's spirits," she gave me a kind, proud, smile, "You must be quite powerful." 

"I like to think so," I sheepishly feeling my cheeks grow warm in admitting such a egotistically opinion, "But the spirits said there are monsters over there," I pointed further down the river, "They said the monsters are poisoning the river by the falls." 

"Got it," Flontina took her staff, waving it around to lift us up into the air much to Kent's displeasure. "Ready?" 

Not even waiting for our response I felt my body shoot forward, in the sky, nearly running into a branch before being violently yanked to the ground. 

"Sorry I'm used to such a small passenger," She gave me an awkward smile, having me positioned right next to her perhaps so I wouldn't get caught on a random wind current and blow away. "You alright?" 

Nodding, I kept my eyes trained forward until we saw insect-like monsters as tall as the falls. Standing at roughly at 7-8 stories tall, they resembled pray mantis's, minus their pale white bodies and violently glowing purple claws and fangs. 

Their movements were causing the rapids to be more violent and larger, making the river spirits even more freaked out. 

"Oh shit," Flontina whispered under her breath, "I mean, uh, oh man those look scary. We should grab the others and come back tomorrow." 

"No, the spirits say they are looking for something and they are close to finding it," I looked to where the spirits were congregating. They were really restless and trying to approach something that the monsters were digging at the base of the waterfall. "The spirits don't want them to get it, I think we should go in now." 

"I don't think you will be able to sword fight that lot," Flontina sucked in air sharply. 

"I can freeze them," I said confidently, knowing full well that I probably couldn't do it.... successfully. 

"I can move the waterfall out more, trap them in," Kent added, staring down at me, probably noticing that I was trembling. 

I've never used my magic on a scale like this and the last time I tried something... a bit much... I emerged with burn scars on my arm and my face. 

"Well here we go," I took a deep breath and stepped into the open right by the river side.