Chapter 45

I never wanted the night to end, but alas it did and now I was packed and ready to get on the teleporter back home.

"Laraine, hold up!" Bazen jogged over to me, now dressed in a simple black tunic and trousers. He was part of the farewell party that was seeing all of us off. Of course they organized the streets to be filled with people throwing confetti and flower petals as we walked through one more time.

"Yes?" I paused just before I got onto the platform, a strange giddy feeling rose in my chest at the sight of him. His hair was roughly styled, tousled over bits of his face like he was fidgeting a lot with it.

"I got this for you," he handed me a small white box tied with tweed, "Open it when you get back home, okay?"

"Okay," I beamed, feeling the giddiness amplify from my finger tips that he brushed to my hands.

"I'll see you soon," he nodded and quickly retreated back to his place where they were waving us off.

I looked at him one last time before I climbed up and joined my party to leave.

"What was that all about?" Yolanna asked teasingly.

"I gift," I shrugged, tucking it gently in my coat pocket, "Okay I'm ready!"

A chorus of ready's echoed around the room and in a white flash we were transported back home.

My brain felt a little jumbled like it did last time, but I managed to walk straight off the platform to make room for the next few passengers.

"I think I'm going to throw up," I heard Folkner say from somewhere in the crowd.

"He gets motion sick," Harken explained, a tight - fake - smile plastered on his face as he walked up to me.

"How was he able to right his horse? And Tallow?" I questioned.

"I think contact with the ground and spirit animals helps keeps his mind focused and he doesn't get sick," Harken pondered, "I think that's why he mastered making the horse."

"Makes sense," I mumbled more to myself than Harken. We haven't really been talking since the ball. He's tried to greet me here and there but I was just cold to him.

Maybe I'm being to hard on him.

"So where are you guys headed?" Yolanna came up to us, lugging her stuff around as she walked.

"I'm going to swing by the guild," I began while Harken also said "I'm going to the guild."

"Oh perfect, me too!" Yolanna sighed, swinging her suitcase at Harken to catch. "I need to claim my money from the last couple of missions before I head home. How about you?" She turned to me.

"Vadallea is at the capital guild to celebrate with me before I go home as well," I put on a tight smile. I was looking forward to seeing Vadallea but I was dreading going home.

"Fun," she wrapped an arm around one of mine, walking at quite a fast pace, leaving Harken in our dust. 

"Wait I thought you have the money transfer straight to your family and your inventory," I whispered to Yolanna. 

"I do," she smirked, "But I couldn't leave you alone with him," she peaked over our shoulders, making sure Harken is following, "You guys feel a bit tense recently." 

"You noticed?" 

"We all noticed," she mumbled, once again peering behind her.

 I didn't have to look to know that Harken was only 5 paces behind us, and I didn't have to look to know he was burning holes in the back of my head with his stare. 

"Lara welcome back!" Vadallea was running with a large bouquet in her arms, meeting me a few yards from the entrance of the guild that was quite populated with adventurers' families, friends, and well-wishers. She was the only one who seemed to be here for me, dressed quite casually in her favorite pink lacy dress. The North is quite freezing no doubt she wanted any excuse to finally wear this short-sleeved, chiffon, summer dress. At least 30 deep blue roses were bunched up in white paper and a light blue ribbon that she suddenly presented to my face, "Congratulations! We all heard of your success so the North's guild wanted me to bring you this!" 

"What about the rest of us?" Yolanna asked jokingly, and Vadallea awkwardly laughed. 

"Sorry I wasn't expecting all of you to be here, but if it's any consolation you all get a 10% bonus on this quest," Vadallea sheepishly explained. 

"Hmm I guess that's okay," Yolanna sighed, being completely unserious. Considering how much we each were getting paid, 10% could feed her family for 2 months. 2 months filled with 3 full meals a day. 

Yolanna has since let go of my arm, and with the roses and my luggage I was about to topple over. 

Years of training for strength, balance, and endurance, was no match for the art of balancing an armful of random objects. 

"Oh jeez let me h-" Vadallea went to go help me but the roses were already taken out of my arms, and tucked nicely under the arm of Harken who wordlessly helped me. 

"Thanks," I mumbled, avoiding eye contact before going up to Vadallea, giving her a tight-lipped look which in one moment of looking between Harken and me, she reciprocated. 

"So I was thinking tea then lunch?" Vadallea took my luggage out of my hands, leaving me only with my sword on my belt among my personal inventory pouch and Bazen's gift in my pocket that felt so heavy with all my anticipation to open it. 

My family-emblem ring was back around my neck, feeling right where it is supposed to be. 

"That sounds lovely," I smiled, looking forward for some relaxing socializing. I think I was done from adventuring for at least the next few days. Looking to Yolanna, I was tempted to invite her but I also wanted some alone time with my best friend. Which made me realize, "Vadallea you know Yolanna right?" 

"We've met," Vadallea smiled politely at Yolanna, who just awkwardly smiled back. Both are usually so social this felt incredibly uncomfortable. 

"Well, I think this is my cue to head out," Yolanna clapped her hands in some sort of theatrical manner, going over to Harken to grab her bags, "See you guys next time!" 

She so blatantly walked behind Harken and away from the guild it was obvious she was just here to make sure I wasn't alone with him that I could see Harken clench his jaw in annoyance at her, but he remained silent. 

 I called out my goodbyes to her fleeting form, also going to Harken to collect my bouquet, catching his golden eyes starting at my face as if studying every detail. 

"Thanks," I muttered quickly, gathering my flowers and feeling how warm they got, and cuddled them to my body. They took up both my arms. 

Blue roses, at especially this royal blue shade, are incredibly rare and symbolize the utmost luxury but also tranquility. Only a well-kept, peaceful environment could birth such beautiful roses. 

"I-I'll see you next time," I nodded a goodbye to Harken who just nodded back, saying a quick 'See-ya' before taking his leave towards the guild. 

Vadallea and I were frozen for a moment, waiting for him to walk out of ear shot before turning so fast to me I thought her neck would snap. 

"You need to spill, now!"