Chapter 26

"Lara!"

I perked up from my spot at the table, looking around to lock eyes with Harken who was coming over, jumping over the drunk party goers.

This was both a welcome and farewell party as many suspect most of us will not be returning from this mission.

"Hey! Glad to see you can make it," I  stood but almost was knocked back down from the big hug he gave me, "Whoa!"

"Sorry!" He awkwardly stumbled back, bumping into a fellow adventurer who just glared at him before moving off. Harken soon gathered himself together and finally regained his composure, "It's been a while."

"It's only been a month," I giggled, noticing some of his party members trail up behind him.

Yolanna Zephize, an air attribute.

Folkner Dars, an earth attribute.

And Sephla Grenn, the tempt who is a water attribute. And the one currently glaring daggers at me.

Harken had made it clear he was looking only for a temporary member until I was able to join, seeing how you need four to qualify for group missions. Vadallea told me a rumor that Sephla joined thinking that she could change Harken's mind and become a permanent member, but just recently Harken reminded her that she should start looking at other parties to join.

Safe to say I'm not her favorite person.

A/N for some reason the rest of the chapter disappeared so here's the rest: 

"I'd love to introduce you to the rest of the team," Harken gestured to them, only for Sephla to suddenly barge in front of him, holding her hand out with a large smirk. 

"Sephla Grenn, level 4," she beamed, looking over her shoulder to Harken who looked perplexed.

"Uh Lara, level 2," I tried to maintain my ladylike smile but my brows definitely furrowed in concern. 

Her smug expression faltered slightly when she realized I was stronger than her. But the level system in the guild wasn't really a test of strength, it was very difficult to move up in the ranks. 

"Lara was a level 4 when she was only 10," Harken suddenly chimed in, "Defeated like a hundred giant mantises on her first mission." 

"It was only -" I tried to interrupt but Harken was on a role. 

"And she stopped a flood, and then took on an alpha wolf by herself, and went up to level 3 within a few y-" There was a distinct pride in his voice and gleam in his eyes that made my cheeks feel like they are on fire. 

"That's enough!" I shouted. Luckily there was enough chaos in the hall that I was left unnoticed. 

"Oh sorry," Harken sheepishly backed off. 

"B-but," Sephla stuttered out. 

I almost felt bad for her, the poor girl. Vadallea said Sephla was utterly smitten with Harken and he was basically bragging about me in front of her. 

"But what happened to your face?!" 

I don't feel bad about it anymore. 

"Seph-" Harken looked furious but he noticed I just grew a creepily cheery smile. 

"Miss Sephla," I began, "I got these scars when I lifted a curse from a.... friend." 

"What kind of curse?" She seethed, still digging this grave she was forming. I am not one to form grudges but there was a limit my etiquette will tolerate. 

"Weeping Death," I tried to shrug it off, but I could see the surprise on Harken's face. Though it did not match the utter gaping shock Sephla had on her face. I as much grace I could muster, I decided to take my leave, "Well it was lovely meeting you Sephla, and it was nice seeing you again Harken." 

A long time ago, this would have bothered me. I mean it still bothered me a little bit, but I wasn't left in tears. I could feel a slight ache in my chest as I left the hall and went upstairs to my room. 

"I'm really sorry Lara." 

Perhaps Sephla's words really bothered me because I didn't even sense Harken who if I didn't recognize immediately I would've punched him. Right in the face. 

"Don't worry about it," I shot him a small smile, still making my way to my room, noticing he was following me, "Really, Harken, I'm fine." 

"Are you sure?" Harken hurried his steps, trying to get into my eye-line which I avoided. Perhaps her words really did trigger me, I could feel heat grow in my eyes. 

"Positive," I took a deep breath, feeling relief slowly sleep in my veins. 

"Okay," he nodded to himself, "Well just know she's off the team after the mission." 

"Oh don't do that," I scolded, fiddling with my keys to my room, "She was just trying to show off to you, and was feeling embarrassed." 

 "She humiliated you," Harken seethed, I could see the flame in his eyes and I could feel the heat flow off of him. 

"Harken," I sighed, leaving the keys in the door I grabbed his hand with both my hands, trying to cool him down, letting my mana soothe him, "Harken it's fine, I'm fine, it's late, I'm going on the scouting assignment with Flontina tomorrow. She's going to be very hungover and I need to be tip top." 

Taking a deep breath, Harken calmed down, returning to his normal temperature. A comfortable warm. 

"Good night Harken," I pat his hand, but he wouldn't budge, "Harken?" 

"I just," he groaned, "I just feel like I failed you." 

"Why?" I held back the urge to giggle. Harken was like my big brother, or at least the big brother I never really had. His little slumped shoulder and almost pout just made him look like a sad puppy. 

"It's just, I can't, you," he stumbled over his words, really trying to find the right way. I wasn't sure where he was going with this, or why he felt so torn about this small incident but seeing how torn up he was somehow made me feel better. 

It was like I wasn't alone, and that warmed me more than his hands.