Chapter 23

"Shopping?" I repeated after Rebecca who was brushing out my hair after my bath. I already removed the water out of my hair and put the soapy water in the magic flower I'm trying to grow.

After many experiments, the flower can take my soapy, dirty, water and turn it into clean water and produce a lovely floral scent.

"Lady Jenova wants to take you shopping tomorrow," Rebecca repeated, the worry on her face quite clear in the mirror, "She made it very clear that it will be just you and her and you have every right to deny her offer."

"A choice?" I clarified, my mother never spoke to me ever since I was born, let alone care about my opinion.

"She wants to update your closet," Rebecca shrugged, leaving briefly to grab a bunch of ribbons, taking a few blue ones out and compared it to my light blue dress. It was a simple long sleeved one lined with lace. Satisfied with her choice, she came over with a ribbon and a new half-face mask.

She found it at a pop-up merchant store and bought several for me while I was away. It covers my scarred face perfectly, and honestly it makes me feel much more comfortable when my burns are covered.

Helping me into my gloves and dress, I watched as Rebecca tie and braid my hair with the ribbons, the blue really standing out in my hair. To top off my outfit, she gently placed the mask on my face, it was plain white with a matching blue ribbon that tied in the back.

"You look beautiful my lady," Rebecca beamed, following me close behind as I headed to my library. Just a small collection of books that my grandmother used to love, and now is long abandoned by the rest of my family.

Bell was already waiting for me, his lesson plans all laid out on the table.

"Good morning Lady Laraine, are you ready for your exam today?" Bell greeted, pulling my chair back to let me sit. Although I was pretty much done my education, I still review some of the materials and take new exams.

"Yes," I confidently responded, taking my seat and picking up my pen. It was just simple dynamic aero-static calculus. A child could do it.

After a few hours, I finished the exam and went to study the other topics Bell has set out for me as he went to grade my exam. Like always he stepped out and let me independently study. Rebecca has poured some tea for me and set out some cookies. I briefly looked at the cookies, pondering their origins, but they smelled and tasted delicious I chose not to think too hard about them.

"Amazing."

My grandfather's voice startled me and I jumped, dropping my pen in the process, smudging my notes. He was holding my exam and looking over it, Bell stood behind him with an apologetic expression on his face.

"You are quite the protégé, " Lord Delfone commented, coming up and stood right above me, finally making eye contact with me that I quickly diverted to the floor, "I was thinking Laraine," he continued, "Why don't I have the academy's dean come and give you their graduation exam. It's unheard of a noble woman without an education, so with the graduation exam you'll be able to get your diploma without needing to go to the academy."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

If I got that degree, I could register to be a scholar of the Adventurers' Guild and have access to old records of past missions and even go on more advance dungeons. Apparently they added that requirement to access dungeons after realizing some adventurers aren't as literate as they expected and that lead to unforeseen incidents of warning signs being ignored.

"That would be amazing!" I cheered, almost shooting out of my seat. But as soon as I realized Lord Delfone was smiling down at me I settled back down into my seat, twiddling my thumbs in embarrassment. "I mean, it would be a great honor to have this opportunity."

Suddenly he squatted down, bellow my eyeline with was strange for such a man of his stature.

"I just have one condition," he smirked. I think he was going for warm and kind but his words made my stomach drop and it took everything for me to not throw up on him. And noticing my reaction he was quick to add, "Take a walk with me in the garden, it's a nice day outside and a young lady like you shouldn't be cooped up in the library."

This was somewhat a comfort, but I still looked to Bell to get confirmation that this wasn't a trap or anything.

He gave me a warm smile, and coming from Bell that was so much more comforting than Lord Delfone's.

He held out his hand, helping me out of my chair and I could hear my heart in my ears.

"You look exceptionally lovely my dear," he smiled, and honestly I felt the bile rise to my throat. Not that he was being creepy or anything, it was just that this was so strikingly different than anything I have ever done before I feel like I'm going to collapse.

Not that I can feel my legs at the moment.

My whole body was running on autopilot and it felt like I was going into battle.

Like Lord Delfone said, it was a beautiful day today. Literally not a cloud in the sky and the sun was illuminating the garden. I could feel the life flowing through all these plants, and the spirits were alive and playing in the garden.

A few caught my eyes and I just couldn't help but smile at a few that were splashing around in the fountain, big smiles on their tiny faces.

"You can see the spirits?" Lord Delfone gaped. He could sense the spirits, but Laraine was focused on a particular area, impressing him further. Though deep down, he felt a pit in his stomach. He let this talent die. He let his granddaughter die.

But now he has a second chance, and he continued to walk her around the family's beautiful garden, making sure to note the West wing's entrance to the garden was a bit overgrown and unused. Her tiny hand was trembling slightly in his, and that only made his stomach churn.

"Do you have a favorite flower?" Delfone asked, guiding his granddaughter all around, trying to see if her eyes light up at a particular section of the garden but she seemed relatively uninterested, like she was lost in her thoughts.

"No," she responded, definitely distracted by something.

Finally taking the hint that she was not in the mood for conversation, he just took in the appearance of his eldest granddaughter. Her the mask covered half of her face, and her entire body was completely covered despite the nice warmer weather. Other than her outfit, she looked like a child. 

Squeezing her hand tighter, he felt the need to make sure she was really there with him. Deep down, he thought that if he let go, she'd be gone again. 

Like his beloved late wife. 

A/N: I know I'm SUPER inconsistent with posting but please know I'm working on this book VERY slowly but surely. And reading over some of my past chapters I realize how inconsistent the storyline is, so someday (in the far future) I'll go back and iron out the details.