Chapter 46

"He did what?" Vadallea gaped, her tea was un-drank but there was definitely some being spilled at this moment.

"He just came out of no where and it's been so awkward ever since," I explained, sighing in exhaustion.

After a moment of processing everything I told her, a mischievous grin formed in her face, "So tell me about this Bazen, was he cute?"

I felt heat rush to my cheeks as I quickly took a drink of hot tea like that was going to calm my nerves, "he's very charming."

"Uh huh," she teasingly sipped her tea, wiggling her eyebrows at me, "'charming'."

"I'm serious!" I defended, feeling embarrassed at the slight thought of possible romance. I never saw it in my future so this was uncharted territory. "He gave me a gift too, just before I came back."

"What is it?!"

"Not sure, I haven't opened it yet," I shrugged, "He told me to wait until I'm home to open it."

"Let me know when you do," Vadallea urged, but then paused, "Unless it's super intimate, then don't say anything."

"Why would it be 'super intimate?'" I asked, admittingly naïvely. 

"Oh uh," Vadallea looked away from me, like she was searching a way to change topics, out the window before suddenly squinting and pointing, "Is that the Grand Duke's carriage." 

"What?" I felt my stomach drop tenfold, but I tried to keep my composure. I have yet to reveal my identity to any of my friends, only to Parter and I assume Kent knows my lineage, and deep down I've always wanted to tell Vadallea, but I was never ready. 

I'm still not ready. 

"Who do you think is in there?" Vadallea speculated, though her tone sounded weird.  Like she know something I didn't. But I think I am just being paranoid. 

"Maybe just a servant or something," I answered hopefully. I knew Rebecca wanted to pick me up from the guild, and I told her to come in the evening which is not for another couple of hours. And like the world was against my today, first Bell came around from the driver's seat and opened the carriage door for my grandfather. "Oh..." 

"The Grand Duke?!" Vadallea basically screamed, and the other patrons in the cafe hurried to the window to catch a glance at what is basically royalty. 

There is a running rumor that the Fortunith name carries greater weight than the Royal family. 

"What is he doing here?" I asked her, genuinely unsure of the answer myself. My grandfather is never in this part of town. None of my family ever comes down here. A part of me wants to believe he's here to pick me up, maybe like how my family would await my siblings return from the academy. 

Bell shot a quick look in my direction, no doubt found me from his abilities. 

"He's not here for you," Bell's voice tickled my ears, and a mixture of relief and disappointment burrowed itself in my chest. It made me feel like I was going to throw up. 

"Lara are you okay? You're really pale," Vadallea's warm hand suddenly clasped my own, our matching bracelets catching my attention, mildly easing my nerves. 

"I-I think I'm just really tired," I stuttered, taking my cup with my free hand, chugging the now room-temp tea. 

"Oh then lets forget the walk, you should just go home," she urged, signaling the waiter nearby, "Also this is my treat." 

"Wait I-" 

"My treat," she firmly restated, shooting me a serious gaze which shut me up real quick.