bunny takes a tumble

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

requested by DreamWasKarl ! hope you like it:)

Dream drops his bunny on the floor and worries about her feelings, but George is there to comfort him <3

Out of his vast collection of plushies, little Dream has to admit he has a favorite.

Taking the cake is his light grey 'buddy blanket'; a cute bunny with long, velvety ears and a pink heart-shaped nose, whose soft body is formed like a little blanket that is perfect for snuggling up with at bedtime.

Or naptime– anytime, really.

Dream loves to smooth the plush fabric over his face, feel its smooth fibers on his lips and eyelids, brushing over his cheeks. The softness is guaranteed to make him feel a perfect mix of sleepy and safe, which makes his bunny a great cuddle-buddy.

When George first gifted the stuffie to him, Dream was quick to give her the affectionate and undeniably fitting name Bunny (because she's a bunny, duh).

His little self likes when things are simple and easy to grasp. He feels no need to overcomplicate things, so it only felt right to name her exactly what she is.

Sometimes, when he's really little, Dream likes to think that Bunny is protecting him in his sleep. Like his own little guardian angel (guardian bunny?).

He imagines her watching over him during the night and creating a thin, sparkly shield around the two of them that no bad dream or potential monsters under the bed can ever get through. Guardian angels are magic, aren't they?

Guardian bunnies are, at least.

...

Tonight is a night like any other.

Dream is lying on his back, tucked in and ready for sleep in George's bed, relatively deep in little space after a whole day of phone meetings and long emails. He honestly rarely sleeps by himself anymore when he's little, and when his friends' beds are so comfortable, that is often where he ends up at night.

George is next to him on top of the covers, propped up on a pillow scrolling on his phone. Both he and Sapnap have learned (the hard way) that Dream doesn't like to fall asleep alone, and that he finds comfort in knowing that someone will still be awake for a while after he drifts off.

Dream has Bunny with him, of course, holding her gently in his hands right up to his face and petting her ears between his fingertips. Like clockwork, her softness makes him sleepy like it always does, his eyelids heavy with the busy day he has had.

Once he gets so drowsy that his hands start to drop Bunny on his face, he decides to put her down so the night can begin. She must need some time to cast her protecting spell.

He turns his back to George and places Bunny beside himself on his pillow, his eyes already half-closed and ready to slip shut any second.

But it turns out he should have been paying more attention, because, in his half-asleep state, he placed her a little too far out; just the tiniest bit too close to the edge of the bed–

–so that the second he lets go of her–

–she slides right off the mattress and onto the hardwood floor!

*Thud*

Oh no.

Dream sits up with a jolt and hurries to peer over the side of the bed, where he is met with the most pitiful sight of Bunny splayed out unmovingly on dark planks.