bear hugs

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*

Dream finds out that George is having a bad day, and does his very best to make it better.

Dream is just on his way back to his room from having been downstairs refilling his bottle when he hears it. A soft sound, barely there at all, seemingly coming from further down the hallway.

His eyebrows furrow in confusion as he walks closer to it, quickly deducing that it's coming from George's room. Maybe he's watching a movie, or talking to someone? But it doesn't really sound like either of those things.

Dream uses both hands to carefully set his tumbler down on the wooden floor before placing one ear to George's door and holding his breath to listen. It sounds almost like... sniffling? Could George be crying?

Dream frowns at the thought – George never cries. During all the years they've been friends he can count the number of times it has happened on just one hand and with very few fingers.

He places a hesitant palm on the handle and turns it slowly, opening the door just enough for him to be able to poke his head through. Please don't be crying, George.

But surely enough, standing over by the window is George, the hood of his hoodie up pulled over his hair and his cheeks rosy and wet with tears. He is covering his face slightly with his hands, crying into them to muffle the sound.

"George?" Dream voices quietly, almost afraid to step past the door sill. He's not used to seeing other people cry, let alone his best friend. What if he doesn't want Dream to come in?

Brown eyes widen at the sound of his voice. "Oh–" George quickly tugs his sleeves down over his hands and uses them to wipe his tears. "Hey Dream. Sorry, I just–" he shakes his head lightly.

Dream doesn't feel so hesitant anymore. He can't just stand there while George looks so sad – he really, really wants to help him. He has to.

He opens the door a little more and walks straight over to his friend, hand reaching out to touch his arm. George gives him a small smile, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"Hurting?" Dream asks, unsure of how else to put it. Maybe George is crying because something hurts, like his head or his tummy.

"Uhm," George wipes his nose before meeting his eyes again. "No, nothing's hurting. I uh, I'm just kind of having a bad day, I guess." His voice wavers ever so slightly as he says it.

Dream pouts. "George," is all he says before carefully placing his arms around him, and pulling him into a hug.

He can feel George lean into him immediately which he takes as a sign to hold him a little tighter. Small sniffles continue to sound from George, muffled in the fabric of Dream's shirt.

Gently, Dream rests his cheek on the other's head.

"It's okay, George," he says softly. "It's okay to feel upset sometimes. Not all days can be happy."

He doesn't really know where his advice is coming from, but he means it completely. George is always so good at knowing exactly what to say to make him feel better, and Dream can only hope that he is doing the same.

George squeezes him a bit. "You're right," he replies into his shoulder, letting out a shaky sigh.

Dream snuggles his face into the nape of George's neck, wanting to hold him as close as possible. Because if there is one thing he does know, it's that hugs tend to help with most bad feelings.

The thought makes an idea pop into his head.

His face lights up with a smile. "George," he says, pulling back from the hug just enough so they're face to face. "George, I know something that will make you feel better! At least a little bit."

George chuckles a bit at his excitement, and he pats his cheeks dry again. "Oh yeah?"

"Mhm!" Dream nods, taking George's hand and linking their fingers together inside his sweater paw. "Jus' come with me, okay?" He starts to gently pull him toward the door.

Hand in hand, they make their way downstairs, George letting Dream lead him along without any questions. They come to a stop in the living room, right in front of the TV, effectively blocking Sapnap's view of it.

He gives them a quizzical look from in spot on the couch. "Hey, guys– oh," his face softens when he sees George's face. "Is uh... everything okay?"

Dream speaks first. "Pandas, you needa give George a hug to help him have a better day," he says bluntly, making George's eyes widen.

"Wha– no, no. I'm okay, really–" the brunet tries, putting his hands up in weak defense, but Sapnap interrupts him.

"Aw, c'mere Gogy," he says, and although his tone is playful, it's obvious that he means it. That he cares.

The two of them hold eye contact for a few moments, Dream glancing between them hopefully.

"Come on, a little cuddle won't hurt," Sapnap insists, opening his arms and beckoning George over.

"It won't," Dream agrees, nodding dutifully.

George gives them both a look, eyebrows raised slightly in exasperation.

"...Fine."

...

They end up settling into a nice, warm cuddle pile. Sapnap situated in the corner of the couch with George in his arms, and Dream wedged in close to them, being held by both.

If it was up to him, they would snuggle like this all day every day. It's just so nice! And although he might not say it out loud, Dream thinks George quite likes it too.

No words are exchanged for a while as they all focus on the random movie playing, letting their thoughts slow down in the comfortable silence.

A poke to his arm makes Dream look up, his attention drawn away from the quiet TV. He tilts his head in question at Sapnap who then points to George whose cheek is pressed against his chest.

Dream follows his gesture, his lips parting into an 'o' when he notices what he wanted him to see. George's eyes are closed, and his breathing has gone all soft and slow. He has fallen asleep.

"Sleeping," Dream says quietly.

"Yeah, sleeping. So let's be extra quiet from now on, okay?" Sapnap whispers, looking him in the eyes to make sure he understands.

Dream nods, whispering back, "Okay."

His gaze falls back on George's face, taking in every detail of his peaceful expression. Closed lips, rosy cheeks, and dark eyelashes that rest on the soft, slightly puffy skin underneath his eyes.

Curious now, Dream reaches a pointer finger up to George's lashes, wanting to touch them and find out how they feel against his fingertips.

But Sapnap stops him gently, pushing his hand back from their unsuspecting friend's face. "Hey, hey, no poking, baby. We have to let him rest, okay? He's probably very tired."

Dream pouts and lays his cheek back on George's chest, glancing up at him from there. "Georgie tired," he echoes quietly.

"That's right," Sapnap says, placing a hand in his hair and carding through it lightly. "And you should try to get to sleep too, buddy. Want me to take you up to your room?"

The suggestion puts a frown on Dream's face. "Wanna stay," he says decidedly. No way is he sleeping anywhere else, far less in his lonely bed, when he can sleep right here in the arms of both of his friends.

Sapnap gives him a soft look and pets his cheek appeasingly. "Alright, you can do that. But try to close your eyes, honey. It's nighttime now," he says, hushed and caring, leaving no room for argument.

Dream lets his eyes drop shut a second later, letting out a soft, sleepy sigh.

"Good boy," Sapnap coos, putting a small smile on the blond's lips. "See you in the morning."

"See in de mornin'," Dream mumbles back, only half aware of his own response as he too drifts off to faraway places.

1326 words

hope u enjoyed <3 much love

**•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*•̩̩͙✩•̩̩͙*˚*