REWRITTEN: the transfer~

song of the chapter: coffee breath by sofia mills

                                                                    ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Sitting on the uncomfortable wooden pew, (y/n) had one thought. If you had told her two months ago that she would be trading her life in London to attend an all-boys prep school in Vermont, she would have called you crazy.

But, sitting there listening to the headmaster - she had come to realize that perhaps it was her who was the crazy one.

She fidgeted in her seat, wishing her mother were here so she didn't feel so alone. She was sat in the front row, usually where the professor's families sit. (y/n) supposed you could call her family to a professor - after all it was Mr. Keating who got her the spot at Welton in the first place.

The girl quickly glanced at him, sitting on the end row beside a very, very boring-looking older man. He smiled, to offer reassurance. She'd shot him a smile back and kept playing with the hem of my plaid skirt.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys, the light of knowledge." The headmaster- Mr Nolan - gestured to an elderly alum who proceeds to light a candle being held in a younger boy's hand. Mr. Nolan continues to talk about the pride of Welton Academy, the four pillars, but (y/n) let it enter one ear and immediately leave the other.

Truthfully, the girl didn't pay much attention until she heard him introduce Mr. Keating.

"As you know, our beloved Mr. Portius of the English department retired last term. You will have the opportunity later to meet his replacement, Mr. John Keating, himself a graduate of this school. And who, for the past several years, has been teaching at the highly regarded Chester School in London."

Mr Nolan proceeded to introduce the newest teacher, the one whose blue eyes sparkled anytime someone even mentioned literature or poetry. The girl knew from experience.

She smiled, because that's where they had met, and the reason her life had changed - for the better. She watched raptly as Mr. Keating stood up and bowed sheepishly, as if he felt awkward to be back at his old school.

Did she really blame him? Not in the slightest. After all, she felt the exact same right now. But, looking at him, she was reminded that she was not, in fact, completely alone.

Suddenly, something she had not been expecting happened.

"It is not only esteemed teaching that Mr. John Keating brings to Welton, no. He also brings with him a transfer student, who was the top of her class back in London. Ladies and gentlemen, I present the first female scholar to ever be accepted into Welton Academy. Ms. (y/n) (y/l/n)."

He motioned for the aforementioned transfer student to stand up - so she did. (y/n) turned to face the other students at this school and slowly came to realize that they were the people she would certainly pass every single day in the halls, so she did her best to make a good impression.

She brushed off her plaid skirt and wave politely, scanning the crowd.

As she looked about the room, she noticed one of the boys who held a banner earlier - an auburn-haired boy with glasses.

He looked dumbfounded as they made eye contact over the heads of the others in the crowd, so she chose to turn around and take her seat again - sparing herself any more mortification.

Mr. Nolan went on to shush the harsh whispers that erupted at the announcement, while the girl stared down at her lap, wishing to tune everything out.