splintered stanzas: the Ivan Incident ~

a/n: thank you all for 2k reads!! still so astonishing that thoughts can manifest and become something so wonderful <3 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── 

3rd person pov...

(y/n)'s arrival at Welton earlier that fall, which had been a huge change in social norms for higher education, was certainly not without its faults. As the only girl in a school full of hundreds of privileged young men left room for many uncomfortable situations, of which there was no shortage. 

"Anyways," Steven Meeks, radio genius, sighs in the hallway one morning "that's the next plan for a stronger antenna for the radio, so we might get better quality stations in the dorms. See you!" he waved goodbye at the shorter girl, as he was on his way to Trig and she to Calculus. 

"Later! Tell Charlie not to miss me too terribly!" she laughed and gave Pitts a mock salute, before turning down the left hallway and into the Calculus classroom. The teacher, a large and unfriendly man, was already at the blackboard. 

(y/n) slid into her seat beside Ivan, a sort-of friend for that class, although the affection ceased there, at least on the girl's side of things. 

"Hey, (y/n)" he murmured, trying to avoid being caught chatting. 

"Morning, chap! Wreaking havoc as always?" she inquired slyly as she began copying down practice questions from the blackboard. 

"You know it, I'd love nothing more than to burn this school down." he says with a seriousness that makes (y/n) immediately feel uneasy. For Charlie to say that he intended to commit arson and cordially invite her along, was one thing. But for Ivan to say that without even flinching was unsettling. 

For a moment, she simply stared at him, eyes slightly narrowed. Thankfully, he broke into a smile - letting her know that everything was perfectly fine, which she reluctantly returned. 

"You sound more from London today, more than you did yesterday" she scrunched her nose up as she laughed silently, the teacher glaring over at her "what's changed?" Ivan seemed genuinely confused as to her use of the word 'chap', which to her was obviously hilarious in such a boring atmosphere. 

"Ah," she shrugged "i drank tea with Keating instead of coffee this morning; Welton has officially ran out of coffee until next week. So, beware." she bared her teeth at him playfully before the class fell into a studious silence and continued on with the lesson.

 ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

"God, what a bore." (y/n) complained an hour later, when they were finally freed from the harsh mathematics. 

"Oh, totally." Ivan sympathized as the held the door open for (y/n) so they could waltz outside for their morning break, which they usually spent studying together. Only this time, (y/n) could sense something off in the normally friendly energy, something felt different today. They continued the banter and jokes until they reached the "study tree", which (y/n) had purposefully claimed and would challenge anyone to a chess match for it(which she had, several times.).