noble pursuits do not guarantee happiness~

song of the chapter: the lakes by taylor swift, my beloved <3

(y/n)'s pov...

After getting hassled out of the student lounge by Dr. Hager and smacking Charlie upside the head, (y/n) walked side by side with the boys, her friends, she realized. They were her friends. They walked briskly to their respective dorms: Meeks and Pitts stopping first, but not without identical waves at (y/n), Charlie and Cameron next, Charlie being a sweetheart as always by pointing a finger gun at his own head, Neil and Todd, snickering together, heads nearly touching, and finally it was only Knox and (y/n) left. 

"Y'know, Knox," (y/n) cooed gently as the boy went to open his door "sometimes the pretty girls go after jerks because that's the only option they're given. There's someone for everyone, I believe." Knox furrowed his brow in confusion

"You mean like, soulmates?" he asked tentatively, and the girl opposite him could tell he was feeling only slightly less disappointed. (y/n) smiled and nodded

"Yeah, soulmates. But you've the rest of your life to find your special person - don't dive headfirst without seeing the bottom, darling." The blue-eyed boy frowned

"But, when I met her there was this, this connection," he rambled "I just felt drawn to her, ya get it? Not just the fact that she's like a goddess on earth, but her personality and- god, everything about her." (y/n) smiled to herself. She knew exactly how Knox was feeling about Chris, more than the twat would ever understand.

"Get some sleep, Knoxious" she recommended, "you've had a long day." 

"Yeah, you're right. Night!" and with that, Knox walked into his room and closed the door, leaving (y/n) alone in the hallway, save for a few straggling students rushing to their various living quarters. Her shoes clacked quietly on the wooden floors until she reached her private room. She closed the door behind her and leaned against it -exhausted from her first day. It felt absolutely wonderful to have time to herself, without being surrounded by masses of boys. 

She sighed before stepping away from the door, getting on her cotton pajamas, and settling into her comforter on the ancient bed, book in hand.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

When her alarm went off the next morning, (y/n) awoke to find herself still seated with book in hand, having fallen asleep without setting in down. She yawned before reciting her daily mantra to the otherwise empty room. 

"I am worthy of what I receive, and I welcome good into my life." Just saying those words made her feel powerful, ready to face the day. It was still early, so (y/n) took her time doing some yoga and making herself presentable before taking an early morning walk through campus to the faculty residency. 

"Sir?" she knocked quietly on the oak door that lay before her, the room behind which belonged to Mr. Keating. Within moments, her tired but happy-looking friend opened the door wide enough and gestured her to come inside. 

"Morning, my dear. You're awake early, any particular reason? Surely no one has been bothering you, yes?" She shook her head. 

"No, can't a girl simply wish to greet a friend before the day is engulfed in teenage chaos?" The two shared a smile before the elder turned towards a mirror, fiddling with the tie around his neck. (y/n) walked to stand beside him before taking the cloth in her hands and tying it expertly for him. Gratefully, he smiled.