knoxious in love~

song of the chapter: juliet by cavetown(yes it's about being transgender HOWEVER i think it fits knox's love for chris)

Meeks' pov...

"Redheads." (y/n) liked redheads! Meeks tortured himself for the next few moments. Now, Cameron was a redhead. But, would any girl date him? The better question; Would (y/n) choose Cameron? The boy in question - the more red, redhead, that is - looked on at the girl in disgust.

"Don't get any ideas," he warned, blue eyes scrunched underneath a furrowed pair of brows "i don't have time to get involved with anyone, and definitely not the likes of you." (y/n) laughed, as if the idea of dating Cameron was repulsing for her refined taste. Meeks couldn't stop his heart from fluttering just a little, at both hearing her ringing laughter touched by geography and that she wouldn't date the other redhead.

"Yeah, I like redheads - just not the likes of you." she retorted. Knox interrupted, exasperated and determined to get hyped up by his best friends.

"Guys! We can talk about (y/n)'s type later." Neil nodded

"Are you crazy? What's wrong with that?" Out of the corner of his eye, Meeks saw (y/n) gazing towards Neil thoughtfully and in that moment, he would have given anything - even his radio - to know what her wonderful mind was thinking.

"She's practically engaged. To Chet Danburry." Every one of the boys made noises of annoyance. (y/n) looked around, confused, at their reactions. Meeks bent closer to the girl to whisper to her.

"Chet's this big football-playing asshole, everyone hates him." he explains. (y/n) hums her understanding. He noticed, offhandedly of course, that the girl had worn jasmine perfume tonight, which blended deliciously with the smell of ink that stained her fingers. He swallowed thickly and took up his original position.

"That guy could go eat a football." he said, to which the general opinion was agreeance. Pitts piped up from his spot near Meeks, abandoning his ceaseless fiddling with the small machine.

"That's too bad." he sympathized quietly, to which Meeks bobbed his head - forever agreeing with his closest friend.

"Too bad?" Knox repeats dejectedly. "It's worse than too bad, Pitts, it's a tragedy. A girl this beautiful, in love with such a jerk." The only girl within their odd, yet merry band of teenagers spoke up next.

"Yes, Knox, a true tragedy. Perhaps you should do the rational thing and instead of forgetting her, write a Shakespearan play on your doomed romance!" Charlie snickered at the girl's refreshing wittiness, so rare in the halls of Welton. Meeks had studied Shakespeare dutifully as all students should, so naturally, he let out a strange-sounding cackle - which of course, caused the girl to beam at him, happy someone besides Mr. Keating found her humor to be truly funny.

"All the good ones go for jerks, you know that." Pitts was trying to console his friend, despite having absolutely zero experience with girls. The boys looked to (y/n) for confirmation of Pitts' statement, to which she simply shrugged.

"He's not wrong, most of us do." The boys around Meeks shared glances. He knew that none of them were jerks, so no girl would ever choose them - unless it was a marriage heavily suggested by their parents, bordering on 'arranged'. It had never bothered him that much, not being in love ever, but he'd rather devote his time to school. Still, a tiny part of him yearned to be worth loving to a girl, plus he was still a teenage boy, no explanation needed.

Cameron quickly changed the subject, asking Knox to forget about the girl and focus on schoolwork, to which Knox whined about not forgetting her. Meeks literally could not understand Knox's immediate attachment, he'd only met the girl once! From what he's read, love is lengthy and confusing, not rushed and plain as day. He sighed, when suddenly the radio starting screaming out a high-pitched whine, competing with Knox's groans.

"We got it!" Pitts exclaimed, while Meeks felt utterly euphoric.

"Holy cow." he breathed, (y/n) in the meantime leaned over his shoulder to get a better look at the boys scrambled to keep the frequency.

"For God's sake, Steven," she complained "say 'holy shit'. Please." Meeks smiled uncertainly, before turning back to the radio.

"Holy shit."

Unfortunately at that moment, Dr. Hager decided to pop into their lounge, telling them it was nearly curfew.

"That wouldn't be a radio in your lap, would it, Mr. Pitts?" he questioned and Meeks began waving around the signal doohickey to resemble a radar, their assigned cover story.

"No sir, science project." Pitts says innocently. The other boy nods, gesturing towards (y/n) with the portable antenna. (y/n) smiled sweetly

"Yes, sir. I've been helping them!" Dr. Hager nodded, obviously still suspicious. They all filed out, one by one. (y/n) ran ahead to catch up with Charlie and Meeks watched as she smacked him on the head with a paperback novel she'd kept in her sweater during the evening. Meeks wondered silently if the girl did anything else but read in her free time. He also wondered what she did if she didn't read, and if she might ever invite him to partake in her free time activities - maybe she liked to dance! Meeks and Pitts sure did.

"Don't talk about women so pig-like around me, Dalton," she warned as he recoiled from the abuse. "or else." Charlie laughed and put his arm on her head like a shelf.

"Whatever you say, Miss. (y/l/n), I'll watch my manners around the lady." he drew a cross over his heart to prove his word.

"You'd better."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Later that night, Meeks and Pitts were in their dorm room, readying for bed. They'd been roommates the entire time they'd spent at Hell-ton, so they were comfortable around one another. Pitts pulled a white t-shirt over his head and down the length of his lean body, while Meeks sat pensively cleaning his glasses on a handkerchief.

"What's wrong." the brunette boy asked, sitting on the bed across from Steven. It was a statement, not a question. Pitts could tell something had agitated Meeks, as he'd always been able to.

"Nothing, I just-" he began before stopping and throwing his hands in the air "do nice girls really only go for the jerks?" Pitts smirked

"Maybe not all of them. But most, as (y/n) said." Meeks nodded and sighed, putting on his pajamas. "but hey, most isn't all. There's a girl out there for us, Steve. I know it." he smiled at his friend.

"Well, anyways, pretty slick that we got the radio to finally make noise, huh?" Meeks asked, still riding out the high of hearing noise outside of Hell-ton's halls.

"Oh, totally! I think we should climb one of the tower's for a better signal." Pitts laid on his bed, staring at the ceiling.

"Tomorrow? We can sneak out while they're rowing." The taller boy looked over at his friend who had placed his glasses on the desk opposite his bed.

"Absolutely, we just need a better signal!"

"Hmm. D'you think (y/n) might want to come? She seemed pretty interested in it earlier." Meeks shrugged, trying to feign indifference.

"Sure, whatever you want." The light was switched off, and darkness ate the small room suddenly.

"'Night Meeks."

"Yeah, 'night."

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───