dewdrops & daisies

song of the chapter: as the world caves in by matt maltese (stop this fits too well im crying)

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

The next day, thankfully, was a calm and late-Autumn Saturday. Most Saturdays for as long as she could remember, (y/n) had accompanied her mother to her job at the library, stopping for breakfast pastries on the way. Since her move to America, (y/n) had felt her Saturdays severely lacking, even with her cozy morning routine and study sessions with Meeks in the sunshine. 

Neil was the only person the young lady ever actually told about her love of Saturday mornings, so her previous tradition had been supplemented by a lovely date with her best friend. If the Dead Poets decided they could survive for one morning without their unofficial, yet thoroughly chaotic leader and darling, the two usually took an early walk, when the dew had not yet disappeared. 

This particular Saturday was not much different, although (y/n) found herself needing her weekly therapy nature walks more than ever. 

"Good morning!" she whispered excitedly as she peeked her head into Neil and Todd's room. She'd been up nearly an hour, getting caught up reading one of her more recent purchases, then slipping into a long, white skirt and Meeks' comfortable wool sweater he'd worn the day before. 

Neil lifted his head from his pillow, fully awake but his dark hair was still mussed from sleep. Todd, the little angel, slept soundly beside him, their limbs entangled. 

"I'm trapped." Neil almost chuckled, but the blonde's head on his chest made him think otherwise. (y/n) covered her mouth with her hands, trying to keep the squeals of delight in. 

"Aw, isn't he darling?" she cooed, tiptoeing over to brush Todd's hair from his face. "Morning sleepyhead, I'm here to kidnap your lover. C'mon, back to your bed." The blonde boy drowsily rubbed his face with a hand, not the early riser in the slightest. 

"Neil?" He yawned, which earned a fond smile from the boy who'd stolen his shy heart. 

"I'll be back soon," the tall boy slid out of the bed, grabbing a random sweater from off the back of a chair. "Sweet dreams!" It was a moment she felt like she was intruding on, so (y/n) fiddled with Todd's meticulously arranged desk set instead of losing her mind with joy for her friends. 

"Alright, let's go!" Neil linked their arms and the pair strode out of the room and down the hall, minding the squeaky spots on the oak floor. It was only half seven, so it was quite unlikely Hager was already awake. 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

At this point, after knowing each other and following this ritual since September, their limbs simply carried them out the doors, to the left, and among the rows of perfectly planted spruce trees. It was here that (y/n) felt the most safe, walking the paths and listening to Neil pour his heart out over Todd, although she'd sworn her life to never tell anyone. 

And vice versa. 

Meeks was a popular topic, and often when (y/n) gushed about what she loved most about him, Neil had something to offer up about Todd.