Chapter 4: Exercise in Exorcism

Artist: ピラ/@pilayamato on Twitter
————————————————————

You stood there in awkward silence, panicking as the reality hit you: you’re going to be spending 4 years away from your family, with strangers, and graduating as someone who kills spirits for a living.

Suddenly, you felt like passing out.

“Phew... I apologize for the delay. My name is Yoshimori [Y/N], and I live—well, lived—in an apartment in... central... Kyoto. You can call me Yoshi—no, not that... Mori, maybe? Nice to meet everyone.”

Shit, shit, shit.

The first to respond was a girl with blue hair. “As in Yoshi from Mario?” She must’ve been the normal one.

The second was robot-man. He stood up and immediately pointed his hand at you, glowing a blazing shade of orange.

“What the—?!” You pulled back and held out your open palm.

“Mechamaru, stop that!” Iori-sensei jumped in to stop him.

Just then, you felt that spiral in your hands again, and saw the energy twist into your fingers. The rest of class looked on in confusion.

"I had a strange feeling when you entered the classroom," he grunted, "don't tell me nobody else noticed it."

"Now that you mention it, there really is a strange aura about you…" the girl with short hair continued. "What's your innate technique?"

"Hey, don't you think it's rude to ask that from a new student?" the other girl shook her head.

"Settle down, you three. Mechamaru, back in your seat." Iori-sensei rubbed her forehead, "just what will I do with you kids… I'm sorry about this, Yoshimori. You can sit next to Miwa."

"It's alright, Iori-sensei." You scanned between the two girls, hoping not to mix up who this "Miwa" is.

"Miwa, huh?" You mumbled, and the girl with blue hair reacted.

ラッキー!

You sat next to her and showed her a polite smile. She seemed to appreciate it, bowing in response.

"Looks like we have another nice kid in here," the other girl huffed.

"It's okay." Miwa whispered, "she's like this at first; she'll warm up to you eventually."

"Really?" You had a hard time believing that, especially… "What about that robot guy? Mechamaru, was it?"

"Ah, yep. He's an actual robot, as far as I know. He's also a little cold, but he's nice once you get to know him."

"Seems like you're the only nice one so far."

"I'll be in your care."

"Likewise." You two shook hands.

"Alright, alright. Now that we've all gotten our first impression of Yoshimori, it's time for you to do the same. Starting from Mai, please."

"Ugh, fine." Mai got up and bowed—though it looked more like she just slouched. "I'm Zenin Mai. Don't call me by "Zenin," or I'll show you how well I shoot my shots~"

Yikes, so that's why she carries a gun. You wondered how she got one barely into high school. Japan is weird.

"Next up is Mechamaru."

"Mechamaru. Ultimate Mechamaru."

Did he seriously just call himself "Ultimate?" A chuunibyou… Well, that explains everything. Nice to meet you too, Mechamaru.