Final Chapter: Breaking Away

You woke up in a bed, smelling like disinfectant and rubber. The lights seared your eyes and made you uneasy. You turned around to see a basket of fruits and candies.

Ah. You're in a hospital.

"Wait, what?" You rubbed your eyes. It didn't feel like you were out cold in a hospital; that nap was the best you've had since the incident.

"Hey, Yoshimori." Iori-sensei walked in, wearing a turtleneck sweater and a long skirt. "How are you feeling?"

"Good. This is the first time I've seen you in casual clothing, sensei. What about the others?"

"Oh! We decided to come visit you during the holidays. Miwa's bringing her little brothers along."

"Ah," you rubbed your head. "How long was I out?"

"Heh..." she chuckled nervously. "You missed the graduation ceremony."

Your eyes widened.

"WHAT!?"

"Shh! Keep your voice down."

...

"WHAT!?" You hushed.

"No, don't worry. You passed, of course. You just missed the official graduation event." She tried to console you.

"That doesn't make it any better!"

There was an awkward silence that followed.

"Yoshimori... What happened?" Iori-sensei ruffled your hair. "Todo said you blasted away a Special Grade?"

"Yeah. I didn't know I could do that either." You sighed, "I... relived a bad memory. That's how I was able to do what I did."

"From the Kyohaku incident? What did you see?"

"Something... I don't remember what it looked like, but I remembered what I said. That aside, what happened to the curse users?"

"They got away. But we won. Principal Gakuganji says it's a relief none of his students died. He said he didn't wanna lose his drummer, either."

You laughed. "Rehearsals are gonna have to wait a bit."

"Well, I guess that's that. Let's hope we won't get another Jujutsu terrorism attack for a while."

"By the way, sensei."

"Hm?"

"I experienced Black Flash while fighting one of Geto's commanders."

Silence.

"WHAT!?"

"Yeah. It felt nice, and I wanted to do more of it once I got the flow going. I wanted to keep punching and kicking and—"

Iori-sensei hugged you. "I'm so proud of you... And I'm sorry I wasn't there with you all in the Night Parade."

"Iori-sensei..! You're hugging too tight!" You hacked, "can't..! Breathe..!!"

"Oh, please, stop exaggerating. I don't want you to end up like Gojo. That jerk."

"Speaking of Gojo... Wasn't Geto his best friend?"

"Yeah. Why?"

"People keep comparing me to him. What makes us so similar?" You looked at your hand, "does that mean I'll end up like him?"

"No, no, no. You have a lot of traits that resemble Geto's: your abilities, your cursed energy, your high grade ranking."

"But something you can do... Is to not follow in his footsteps. I knew him when I was younger. He wasn't as bad as Gojo, but... he was a bit patronizing."

"I feel bad for you, sensei."

"Right? Neither of them knew how to respect their eld—"

There was a knock on the door, opening to reveal Miwa, Mechamaru, and Mai; none of which were in their uniforms.

"Hey, Yoshimori." Mechamaru nodded. "You're finally awake."

"Yoshimori!" Miwa ran towards you, "are you feeling better? How's your wounds?"

"I slept like a log. And yeah, they're doing better."

You turned to Mai, who had a cup of coffee in her hands.

"Here." She passed it to you. "Just a bit of thanks~ and it's not stale this time. Congrats."

"Huh..? Why's everyone looking at me?" Miwa panicked. "It's not my fault the ice melted!"

"The seniors are gonna come a bit later, but they also have some things for you."

"Er, Miwa? Where are your little brothers?"

"Oh! Right! I'll bring them in right away. Come on in, guys!"

As you watched everyone chatting, you thought back to those moments. Being "lucky..."

Having a future await you. Bettering yourself. Having people who care about you.

Isn't this what that is?

————————————————————

"Hey, mom and dad." You wrote. "Sorry for not sending anything these past few months. I got a little sick, but I'm fine now.

I can't come back just yet, but I promise I'll visit you guys one day. It's been over a year since Kinuko's passing (time really flew by, huh?), but I'm doing better now.

I'm getting there. One step at a time."

————————————————————

"I have gathered you all here today to discuss Yoshimori Ren." Principal Gakuganji spoke.

"As our reports have suggested..."

"He has the most recorded exorcisms in the entirety of the Night Parade of 100 Demons. A speculated grand total of 108 curses."

Chattering ensues.

"The exorcized cursed spirits are as follows:

1 Special Grade curse

3 Grade 1 curses

21 Grade 2 curses

12 Grade 3 curses

20 curses of unknown grade, from the reports of Nishimiya Momo.

51 "missing" curses from the reports of sorcerers and assistant managers."

"He has also experienced the Black Flash, which I believe supports my case here today."

"The 51 missing curses in question are simply rumors, however, and cannot be properly confirmed at the moment."

"Finally, he has neither a limit nor a drawback to absorbing curses, as long as he maintains physical contact; this even includes Special Grades."

"Say half of them are false reports... The other half... that's still quite the feat, isn't it?"

Discussion erupted among the higher ups, with Principal Gakuganji putting forward the final proposal after some time.

"If there are no further objections, I will declare on the final verdict:"

"Sorcerer Yoshimori [Y/N] of Kyoto Jujutsu High School is hereby officially pronounced..."

"Special Grade."