Chapter 5: Warm-up

Artist: よぞら/@Yozora1902 on Twitter
————————————————————

The railway-turned-cursed spirit rose up, towering over everyone else. Its limbs were disjointed and dirty water was spouting out of its mouth. Soon enough, the thing's attention turned to you and Miwa.

"That's a Grade 3?!"

"Yeah, I should be able to handle it!"

She gripped her katana stiffly, taking a focused stance. This was the second time you've ever seen a blade in combat, so it'd be normal for you to feel intimidated, but…

Why can't you stop trembling?

As Miwa approached the giant cursed spirit, you felt chills run down your spine. The same kind back in the museum. What’s going on?

“Oooh! This looks cool!” Kinuko turned back, “[Y/N]—? Are you alright?”

Wait, what’s happening?

“Ki-kinuko… get away from… that thing..!"

No, it can’t be! Kinuko!?

Just then, a white streak flashed in front of you. Catching a glimpse of a bladed finger next to her, you tried to push her away, but something was holding you back.

“KINUKO!” You yelled, jerking yourself towards her.

Your lungs closed up as the image of Kinuko’s head flashed itself again and again in front of you.

The more you tried, the less you could really move. You closed your eyes, not wanting to see this all again.

“Yoshimori! Yoshimori!” A voice called out, “are you okay!?”

Annoying… 

"Why… did you leave me to die?” A low voice groaned, “why?”

You raised your hand. “SHUT UP!”

That spiraling sensation became overwhelming, and soon you felt a surge of energy being drawn into your palm. It wouldn’t stop; not until everything was gone.

Then you collapsed.

————————————————————

Your limbs feel heavy. So much light. It’s hot… You can hardly breathe. The shivers aren’t stopping…

“Is he awake yet? He’s sweating a lot,” someone muttered.

“Shh! Let him rest. What the heck happened back there, anyway?”

“He sucked up all of the curses in the area. Every single one.”

“Scary…” She shuffled.

You pulled yourself up, eyes still blurry. Where are you? And why are you so tired?

“Ah, Yoshimori. You’re awake.” Iori-sensei touched your forehead. “Are you feeling okay?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. I feel better. My ears are still ringing, though.”

“Took you long enough,” Mai scolded you, “we had to carry you all the way to the station.”

“I was the only one who carried him, Mai. Both you and Miwa didn’t want to.”

“Sorry,” the latter whispered, “you’re a lot heavier than my younger brothers.”

“It’s fine, it’s fine. How long was I out? And how did the mission go?”

Iori-sensei looked at her watch, “about 5 hours. We contacted Ieiri-san about this, but thankfully, you seem to be fine.”

“5 HOURS?! What happened to the curses?”