Chapter 10: Night Parade of 100 Demons, Part 3

Art by めざ/Meza on Pixiv

————————————————————

The battles were coming to an end as more and more curses were exorcized by sorcerers, clearing out the shrine gates and roads of the Fushimi ward.

You and Todo-senpai were watching over a certain part of the city, exorcizing minor stray curses.

But one thing refused to go down.

Its presence was masked by all the Grade 1's and hundreds of other curses. But now... you'd be a fool not to notice it.

A Special Grade.

Its body was covered in cuts, slashes, and stab wounds. Reeking of iron, it raised its hand to summon blades of many shapes and sizes. These blades of pure cursed energy sliced through everything in its path; relentlessly slicing at both of you.

You weren't able to do anything. You tried to move, help Todo-senpai, anything.

But you couldn't. For a second time, you were left helpless by your own fear.

"Yoshimori! Get it together!" Todo-senpai's voice.

You can't.

You were back at the museum again.

Alone with the same sight of Kinuko's death. Over, and over, and over, and over, and over again. You didn't care what was happening to you.

Kinuko needs help right now!

"WAIT! DON'T MOVE!" Your mouth uttered for what felt like the thousandth time. Your heart was still beating fast, and you stood there motionless.

It was disgusting.

You just want to leave. You don't want this. You never did.

You felt a slight pain in your foot. Was that from the cursed spirit? You don't know.

What do you do? You got this nagging feeling that you have to save her. You have to.

But why? You don't remember. How would you even save her? You can't move, remember?

"You know, [Y/N]-kun," Kinuko's head spoke. It was dangling by a stretch of skin, stooping near the floor. "I think my parents are really cool."

"Stop..."

"I don't really know myself..." She bent down to you, "I guess it has something to do with the whole "breaking free from the cycle" thing."

"Stop... talking—!"

"Yup!" She laughed, "anyway, um, I have some good and some bad news."

"SHUT UP!! I KNOW THIS ISN'T REAL! THIS IS ALL IN MY HEAD!!" You started breathing rapidly. "WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!?"

"I HATE BEING WORTHLESS!" Your mind flashed to Miwa. "Do... Do you have any—any idea how I passed out when my friend was in danger!?"

"Do you have any idea how I've almost died for nothing?!" Your mind flashed to Mechamaru. "I wasn't fast enough! I wasn't strong enough!"

"I put my classmates in bigger danger than any friend should!" The Tengu incident. "People keep telling me how I resemble a criminal!"

"They're better off without me..." Iori-sensei... Principal Gakuganji... "I thought I've gotten stronger. That I've gotten better... But because of you..."

You looked up to see Kinuko still standing there motionless. It seems she's stopped for now.

"BECAUSE OF YOU, I—!!"