Chapter 21-Part 1

~Desert-Chameleon

I had spent my whole life since I escaped exploring the continent.  I never stopped moving and I trained my RainWing scales to stay tan, erasing every trace of hybrid-ness and emotion.

Night began to fall and I had flown practically the whole day and was looking for shelter when I saw a small hut surrounded by a few palm trees and a shallow pool of water.  It looked vacant, so I dropped down, took a sip of water from the oasis pool and went into the hut.  It was mainly empty and had only a pile of blankets and pillows.  I lay down on the pile on my back, so that I could use my tail barb quickly if needed and soon succumbed to the pull towards sleep.

........................................................................................................................

I woke up with a jolt and saw a gray dragonet around my age with her tail barb hovering above my neck.

"My tail barb," I said with a smile, knowing it wasn't true, "Is positioned next to your spine.  As I had hoped, she looked back to check which gave me time to grab a near-bye rock and smash it against the side of her head.  She crumpled, her wings splaying across the ground like a sleeping hatchling's.  I knew that I could've killed her, but I found myself not wanting to.

When I looked at her again, I noticed that not all of her scales were dark gray; the ones around her eyes and scattered on the under-sides other wings were silver/white.  She was kind of pretty, the silver against her dark gray scales.  Her face was slim, but her body was the body of a strong dragon and I found myself wondering what her story was.