{{{𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 5}}

~💚~

Mirabel turns back to the House... to Bruno's tower.

On her way to Bruno's door, Mirabel sneaks past Isabela and Abuela who are talking about Isabela's arranged marriage to Mariano.

"Such a perfect match."

"So perfect."

"And so good for the Encanto."

Mirabel sneaks past the two and reaches Bruno's door. The young girl can tell no one's been in there for years... the door is dark and stiff, cobwebs and sand littering the entrance.

Mirabel lifts her hand to the knob, going to open the door.

"Mirabel?" A voice calls to her.

Mirabel jumps, spinning to face the person who had caught her.

"Nikolai~ uh, hi~" Mirabel stutters, trying to play cool.

"What are you doing?" Nikolai asks with slight aggression in his voice.

Mirable paused to think to herself for a second. How was she gonna get out of this? Nikolai hated people going near his father's door after what happened, and not only was it someone... it was Mirabel... the person his dad last tried to help before he left.

"I~ nothing, I'm not doing anything I was just~" Nikolai cut his cousin off.

"Come away from there... Abuela will have your head if she sees you..." Nikolai spoke with narrow eyes, closing the book in his hands as he watched his cousin with eagle eyes.

"Right of course..." Mirabel hopped down the steps, trotting off to her room.

Nikolai followed her movements before looking back up at the non-glowing portrait of his father... His eyes began to glow before he snapped his head away, stomping the few steps to his own tower door before entering and slamming the door shut.

Mirabel stuck her head out her bedroom door, making sure Nikolai was gone before heading back toward Bruno's door. She shoves open the door, revealing a dusty, dark anteroom. In front of her, sand spills in from above, creating a curtain she can't see beyond.

"Casita, can you turn off the sand?" Mirabel calls.

When nothing happens, Mirabel looks back where she can see the floor tiles as the doorjamb say "I cannot help beyond this point."

"You can't help in here?" She asks shocked.

The House responds "No... and I'm worried about you," after all, Mirabel has never been "without Casita's help.

"I'll be fine. I need to do this... for you, for Abuela... mmmm for me." She mutters to herself.

"Find the vision, save the mir-ack!" As Mirabel steps through the "sandfall" she falls.

Mirabel falls face-first and slides down a giant sand dune. She looks up to see she's in a towering room that widens to reveal a stone sign reading "Your Future Awaits," which points to the top of the cavern.

"Whoa..."

Hundreds of stairs lead up. As Mirabel looks up, one of Antonio's toucans flaps down next to her. It smiles and squawks.

"Oh, hello... Lotta stairs, but at least I'll have a friend~" Mirabel says, feeling better.

"~no, you flew away immediately." Mirabel watches it fly to the top. Mirabel grits her teeth and starts climbing.

"Alright."

"Welcome to the Family Madrigal..." Mirabel talk sings.

...