{{𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 12}}

~💚~

Is there a difference between flying, and falling? Feeling weightless... Out of control... Something, none of us really think about till it happens but...

What would we say... if we knew we were dying? Was it enough? Did I live a good life? I suppose... all one can do, is reflect and pray...

Fading... a dull jade glow filled the darkness, and the soft sound of laughter filled Nikolai's ears. Opening his eyes, Nikolai was met with the corridor of Casita, the tiles slick with water, and the walls lined with 3 doors. Blinking, Nikolai turned his dark brown eyes down, raising his hands and slowly curling his fingers in and out again. His body felt... warm, and his chest was... relaxed. Nikolai touched his chest, his heart, feeling its slow, soft beats. He thought to himself. He could not remember the last time he could breathe deeply without choking. The last time he felt... normal. There was no pain... no thundering heart or ragged breathing. He was... calm? Suddenly experiencing a shiver, the young man lowered his gaze to his feet, the souls of his shoes covered by the steady stream of dark, murky water. Frowning, Nikolai looked forward, seeing the water run softly down the steps and over the tiles. He tilted his head in confusion. Did they have a leak? 

The soft laughter sounded once again, and Nikolai turned his head to the door on his right side. It was ajar, with no light inside. 

"Hello?" He called out, turning toward the wooden barrier, and cautiously pushing it open. 

Inside, a small candle burnt, casting a warm color over the dim room. Pushing the door open more, Nikolai nearly jumped out of his skin as the laughter turned to piercing cries, and the candle burnt brighter, revealing a large crib, small chubby hands flaring over the top. Stepping into the room, Nikolai approached the crib, looking over and seeing a baby laying sobbing. 

"I'm here, I'm here!" A mature, though strained male voice called out. 

Nikolai turned toward the door to watch Bruno walk in, pajamas hanging roughly off his shoulders, bags under his eyes. 

"Dad," Nikolai's voice stammered in a whisper, a smile forming on his face as Bruno approached him.

"Come now," Bruno smiled.

Nikolai stepped forward, only for Bruno to walk straight past him and into the room, scooping up the young version of himself.

"Shhhhh, sh sh sh," Bruno whispered, bouncing the baby in his arms. 

Nikolai's smile faltered, and slowly he turned back into the room, watching Bruno calm the screaming child. The older male yawned, beginning to hum quietly while pacing and bouncing, lulling the small boy to sleep. 

"There now. Everything will be okay, Daddy's here." Bruno raised the child up to kiss his forehead, softly lowering his back into his crib. 

Nikolai paused. This was a memory. And that child... was him. He smiled, stepping backward, and out of the room, Nikolai silently closed the door, chuckling to himself. He placed his forehead against the door and closed his eyes. Sighing contently, Nikolai raised his head and turned to look at the next door along the wall. Stepping toward it, Nikolai softly took hold of the knob, twisting and pushing before he found himself back in his room. The tall trees swayed softly by a breeze, the sound of birds and running water mixed into a melody. 

"Daddy! Daddy! Look!" 

Turning his head, Nikolai looked to the side, seeing his 5-year-old self standing on a stool in front of his mirror, pointing at his glowing green eyes. Niko frowned. This was the day of his gift... Another Bruno stepped past him, coming up behind his son and placing his hands on his shoulder. 

"They are beautiful Buddy," Bruno smiled. 

Nikolai watched his young self turn to his father, his glowing jade eyes swirling into a butterfly. Niko brought a hand up, placing it just under his own eye as he watched the scene. He had a butterfly eye? Why doesn't he remember that? 

"Are you happy Daddy!?" Young Niko grinned. 

"More than anything," Bruno answered, hugging his son. 

Happy... So, the butterfly was for happy... 

Nikolai lowered his hand, heading for the door once again, closing it behind him. Happy... He could be happy? Lost in thought, Nikolai did not notice the water leave had risen to over his ankles. There was one more door. Walking toward it Nikolai pushed it open, the room settling in the form of Bruno's vision cave. Nikolai looked around, seeing nothing when suddenly a flash of green made him shield his eyes. Carefully reopening them, Niko looked over his father in a vision, the sand swirling, pictures flashing... then, calm. Stepping forward, Nikolai watched as Bruno examined the vision, his breathing audibly ragged. 

"Oh Niko..." Bruno whispered. 

"Papa?" Nikolai called out. 

Bruno raised his head, pausing for a moment before turning to look at his son. 

"Niko?" He breathed. 

Nikolai turned to look behind him, seeing a 7-year-old him standing watching his father. 

"What's going on?" He stepped forward, past Niko. 

"Nothing Buddy, go back to bed," Bruno replied, hiding his vision in his pancho. 

"Papa what's wrong? Why didn't Mira get a gift?" Nikolai asked. 

"I~... I don't know buddy, but, I'm sure it will be fine, now go back to bed." Bruno pushed, stepping forward. 

"Papa please," Nikolai watched his young self push. 

"Nikolai," Bruno spoke. 

"Just tell me what's wrong," 

"I can't~"

"Why not?"

"Because it's not for you~"

"Papa!"

"Go to your room! Nikolai!" 

Nikolai grimaced as he watched his young self jolt at his father's sudden tone. His chest rises and falls quickly. Bruno's face fell, and he instantly began walking forward. 

"Buddy I'm sorry I~" He began, but young Niko shook his head and turned, running out of the cave and toward the steps. 

The whole room began to shake and small Niko lost his footing, tripping and falling for the edge. 

"NIKO!" Bruno cried out. 

Nikolai gasped and jumped, grabbing his small self and cradling him as they both fell off the ledge. 

"NIKOLAI!" Bruno's voice rang. 

Nikolai looked down at the whimpering boy in his arms, watching him cry and cuddle closer to him. Nikolai sighed, closed his eyes, and squeezed the boy closer to his chest. The wind rushed over his body, his hair flying and, his clothes fluttering. And like a glass on flooring, Nikolai's body hit water, the small boy in his arms vanishing. Nikolai kept his eyes closed, his arms floating to the sides as he sank, the last small bubbles of breath leaving his lips.