{{𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 9}}

~💚~

A few kids from town play in the grass in front of the Madrigal house. A crack forms on the ground next to them and they look up at the candle, which flickers unnaturally. The House shakes. Frightened, the kids run away from the House, where a GROUP of people is gathered.

"You should have told me the second you saw the vision! Think of the family!" Abuela stands in the foyer with the rest of the family, scolding her son-in-law.

"I was thinking of my daughter!" Agustin bites back, Julieta coming up to stand next to him.

A gust of wind blows snow across the room and Abuela turns to the culprit.

"Pepa, calm down!" She hisses.

"I'm doing my best!" Pepa bites back.

"Yes." Felix, standing over his wife batting away snow clouds agrees.

"You're lucky it's not a hurricane!" Pepa adds, adding speed to the wind she was already producing.

In the main plaza, Dolores sat looking in on the adult's conversation before sighing and pulling back, sitting with her back to the wall before turning her attention to the boy sitting beside her. Nikolai sat with his head in his hands, buried in his knees as he hisses and groaned at the emotions banging around in his head. Dolores rubbed and patted his back before looking up at Camilo who sat on Nikolai's right, the younger boy wearing an expression of worry for his cousin.

"Mamá, you've always been too hard on Mirabel." Julieta narrows her eyes at her mother.

Small cracks emerge around them, decorating the faded walls.

"Look around. We must protect our family, our Encanto. We cannot lose our home!" Abuela says sternly before a knock interrupts them.

"Señora, perdón, people in town are becoming anxious about the magic. They want to see you..." One of the village seniors enters from outside, a group of villagers behind him.

"Mirabel was in that vision for a reason. Find her." Abuela orders as she pulls on her shawl and leaves.

As Abuela leaves, the house shakes, and more cracks form along the floor. Dolores and Camilo share another look as Nikolai coils into himself more, beginning to whimper as he fists his hair.

"Let's take him to his room~" Dolores begins but is interrupted by her's and Mirabel's parents walking into the room.

"We need to find Mirabel," Julieta states.

"Niko isn't feeling well," Camilo calls, looking from his cousin to his mother.

"I'm fine~ I just... need some space," Nikolai snaps, standing shakily before pulling his hood up and slowly making his way to his room.

Feeling the earlier tremor, animals fly and run off scared inside Antonio's room.

"We might wanna hurry." Mirabel urges as Bruno prepares a sand circle for his vision.

"Ya can't hurry the future... And what if I show you something worse? If I see something that you don't like, you're gonna be all, "Bruno makes bad things happen, oh, he's creepy and his vision killed my goldfish." Bruno rants, sitting down in front of Mirabel.

"I don't think you make bad things happen. Sometimes family weirdos just get a bad rap. You can do this..." Mirabel encourages as Antonio hands Bruno a stuffed jaguar.

"For the nerves." Antonio smiles at Bruno and nods, like, I believe in you, then heads off.

Bruno looks at the stuffed jaguar, then up to Mirabel, considering. Then, with a weighty exhale, Bruno reaches into his ruana and takes out a handful of salt, holding it before he throws it behind his back.