{{𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 13}}

~💚~

Nikolai smiled to himself as he sank. ~"Nikolai..."~ He could still hear his father's voice, echoing in his head. He was happy, he got to see him one last time. Cracking his eyes open, Nikolai looked up at the water's surface, his jade eyes flashing in the form of a butterfly before fading out to his regular brown. A dark silhouette of  Bruno cast over the water, the image of him reaching his hand down toward Niko gave him peace. He'd be with his father now... 

"NIKOLAI!" Niko closed his eyes as his father's voice suddenly became distorted as if screaming underwater. 

He wasn't cold anymore, he barely felt the water cradling him as he hovered in the rock pool, his hair tickling his cheeks. Letting go of all the stress and pain, Nikolai's head slowly fell back, his chest no longer burning for air. 

Casita rumbled once again, sending ripples through the water. There was a splash, and the swish of treading water. A large dark hand reached into the water's depths, fingers stretched as far as possible. For a second, it looked like it was going to give up, fingers curling in before stretching again and wrapping around Nikolai's wrist. The new body pulled up, their arms wrapping Nikolai's waist as they turned, furiously kicking toward the surface. Bubbles escaped their nose, breathing getting harder, air in short supply in their lungs.

Breaching the surface, a loud gasp was released and the ragged breathing of panic sounded. Swimming to the edge the new body hauled Nikolai out of the water, placing him down and kneeling over him. 

"Nikolai!" They called out, pushing the wet hair out of the young boy's face. 

Placing their ear to his chest, they gasped, seizing Niko's shoulder and shaking. 

"NIKOLAI!" 

Casita gave one last groan as the walls toppled and came crashing down. The savior picked Niko up, throwing him over their shoulder and racing to the door. Crashing through the cracked and dull door, they slid along the floor, arms wrapped around Niko to shield him from the impact. Having little time to recover, they gripped Niko's hoodie, hurling him up over their shoulder once again and running toward the large hole in the wall at the end of the corridor. Lunging, this person gave a cry as they leaped through and fell toward the grassy floor outside the house. 

Catching their breath, they turned their eyes back to watch Casita crumble into nothing. The walls stopped shaking... debris stopped falling... everything went still. Panting, they turned their attention back to Niko, placing him down properly and whispering.

"Nikolai..." Their voice faltered. 

Shaky hands hovered over Niko's face, worried eyes searching for breath... for life. 

"No no no..." Shuffling forward, the savior locked his hands, beginning to push Nikolai's chest over and over. 

Pumping his still heart they watched. The pale, still features of the young boy, hoping... praying. 

"Come on Niko," They whispered. 

"COME ON!" They cried, pausing their pumps to take Niko's face, blocking his nose and breathing air into his water-filled lungs. 

Nikolai choked and the saviour jumped in surprise. 

"Yes~!" They whispered, smiling before standing and running away. 

Nikolai coughed furiously, his body convulsing to turn him onto his side. Nikolai coughed up all the water in his chest, panting as he opened his eyes. The sky was grey with dust, and the air thick to breathe. Nikolai gasped as he brought his head up, looking around before at the broken ruin of his house. How did he get out? Was he dreaming again? Was he breathing? Placing a hand to his chest, Niko felt the rapid thumps of his heart, his throat burning with the sensation of breath once again.  Going to stand Nikolai buckled once he got to his knees, looking back and remembering his right leg was broken, Niko grabbed a stick nearby as he pulled himself up. 

"MIRABELLE!?" He heard his Tia's voice cry. 

"Mirabe~ Nikolai!" Niko raised his head to see Camilo running toward him. 

"Hey are you alright!?" His cousin rushed to his side. 

Nikolai looked down at his face, seeing his brows angled down and his face pulled funny. Nikolai furrowed his brows in confusion. 

"Are you... worried?" Niko asked. 

"We didn't know where you were! The house was destroyed and no one could find you!" Camilo called, taking his cousin's arm and wrapping it around his shoulders. 

"I~..." Nikolai looked at the ground, straining his head to try and feel what Camilo felt. 

"I was in my room," He answered as they began hopping toward the rest of the family. 

"All by yourself? How did you get out with your leg?" Camilo asked. 

"I don't..." Nikolai paused. 

"I can't feel anything..." He whispered, placing the hand holding his makeshift crutch to his chest, his heart. 

"The candel died, we don't have our powers anymore..." Camilo explained, looking up at his cousin as they waddled. 

Niko let slip a harsh chuckle. 

"What's so funny?" Camilo asked. 

"I don't... I can't feel... ANYTHING..." Nikolai smiled. 

"I mean sure I'm tired, and sore but~ I don't have to worry about all your fear, and pain!" Nikolai laughed to himself. 

Camilo looked worriedly at his cousin who was laughing happily. He watched his face and his eyes before giving in and smiling. 

"I'm glad you're okay," He spoke as they made it around the house and toward the rest of the family. 

"Oh my gosh Nikolai!" Pepa called, running up to her nephew. 

"Are you okay papita!? Are you hurt?" Pepa took her nephews face, twisting it and examining it. 

"I'm alright Tia," Niko smiled, placing his hand over Pepa's. 

Peps paused, struck still by Niko's smile. She smiled, sighing in relief before pulling him in a hug. 

"Well that's not entirely true," Camilo spoke. 

"Mama I think his leg's broken," He added. 

"It's okay, it only hurts a little," Niko replied as Pepa pulled away and looked at his leg. 

"Felix! Come help me," Pepa called and her husband walked over holding Antonio. 

"Oh Niko," He spoke, placing his son down and walking over, hugging his nephew and taking Camilo's place. 

Walking Nikolai over to a seat, Felix helped lower him softly to sit before kneeling in front of his leg and pulling up his pants leg. 

"Get Julieta, she'll know what to do," Felix called to his wife as he examined the large purple bruise. 

Pepa ran off, leaving Camilo with Niko. 

"Is anyone else hurt?" Niko asked. 

"No, thankfully... But, I don't know what we'll do now," Camilo looked down. 

Nikolai smiled sadly, wrapping his arm around his cousin, comforting him as he had many times for Niko. 

"We'll be okay Cami, everything will be alright," He hugged his cousin to his side as he looked around at Dolores, Abuela, and Antonio.