Chapter 4

You know what I'm gonna say, but tough beans, I'm gonna say it anyway! TootsieRollYumYum!!! Check her out! Credit to her for story ideas and characters!

___________________________________

The next day Vanellope entered the new game by herself, eveyone else a litle nervous to meet the new racers, and Ralph busy with his own game. As she got deeper in, she was met by King Sour Gum.

"Ah, Vanellope!" He said as she got closer. "That...was your name, right?"

"Sure was," Vanellope skiped the rest of the way over and stuck her hands in her hoodie pockets.

"I assume you came to watch the races, yes?"

"Yep. I'm not racing today, and I figured, hey, new game, new racers, new course, right?' She shrugged and smiled.

Sour Gum laughed, "yes, I suppose, but it wouldn't be the same as racing the course, would it? Sitting in the stands never adds up, you know."

Vanellope scoffed, "TELL me about it. You racing today?"

"Oh no, not today. We have a randomizer that determines the racers for the day, and, well, I wasn't on it."

Vanellope jumped, shouting "No way! We have to do it the old fashioned way with volunteering and what not."

Sour Gum laughed, "do you wanna come check it out?"

Vanellope calmed herself a bit. "N...no, thats okay, I think I'll just watch." She started walking towards he race track, passing him by.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong, what did I say?" Sour Gum spun and caught her eye. "It's just a little machine, nothing special."

"Yeah, I guess...just no thanks, okay?"

"But..."

"I said no." Vanellope sighed. "I just wanna watch the races, okay?" Her voice didn't sound sad, just tired, and cautious.

Sour Gum smiled. "Of course."

Vanellope gave him a smile and turned, running towards the stands.

Just as she got to there a voice rang out, "Quarter inserted!" She took her seat near the front, pieces of sour candy and chewy sweets seated around her.

The first kart she saw appear was one made of ice cream. It was just chocolate and vanilla, and alot of peantus. The wheels were made of large, round, toasted marshmallows. The seat and interior chocolate. A boy materialized inside of it, and he gripped the wheel, grinning. His helmet was a a mixture of chocolate and marshmallow cream.

"Thats Ricky. Ricky Rocky Road."

Vanellope gasped and threw her head towards the voice. Sour Gum sat in the seat next to her. He was looking at the guy in the kart. "His kart is always cold, and, from what I've heard, so are his hands."

"What are you doing?" Vanellope asked. Sour Gum's smile faltered a bit.
"Watching the game. What are you doing?"

Vanellope got angry, her eyes lighting up, "No, I mean what are you doing trying to buddy buddy with me?"

His face lit up with suprise, "Excuse me?"

"We're not friends, no matter how much our games are connected!" Vanellope jumped up and over the seats, running to get away.

"Hey, Vanellope, what's going on?" Sour Gum called out as she ran.

She knew he had no clue what had happened in her game with King Candy. She knew she shouldn't judge him just because he was a King. But she didn't care.

As she ran, she heard the race start. The exit was up ahead, and she could take a short cut if she-

A voice cried out, "Watch out!!!" just as Vanellope went tumbling over a boy with pink hair and red clothes.

She screamed as they both fell, but was silenced when she hit the ground with an "oof!"

The boy stood up and offered her his hand. She took it. "Are you alright?" He asked. His voice was high pitched.

"Yeah I'm fine, just a little jumpy is all." She brushed herself off, bits of sour candy sticking to her. "You a racer?"

The boy grinned, "Oh, I wish! I was gonna go catch the race before it started but, well, I guess I'm too late." He looked her over and continued, "I've...never seen you around here before."

Vanellope looked at him with wide eyes. "What do you mean, 'you wish?' It's your game...have you never raced before?"

The boy shook his head, then smiled, "but it's only been two days. I can't wait for the randomizer to spit out my name, and I'll be a racer!"

"But, you don't even...like, have a kart?"

"Why would I? I haven't been chosen to race yet." The boy shrugged.

Vanellope squinted. "What's your name, kid?"

"Peppermark Swirl, ma'am. Nice to meet you. And you are...?"

"Vanellope." She crossed her arms, "Vanellope von schweets. I'm from Sugar Rush the first."

"Oh, cool! Is that where you're going now?" Peppermark's eyes lit up. Vanellope noticed they were pink, like his hair.

"Yeah."

"Oh, sweet pie, can I come?!"

Vanellope sighed, "dude, I'd love to bring you, but I just got here myself, and I don't wanna freak out the other racers."

"Oh, come on, I'm sure one racer won't upset anyone." Peppermark grinned, looking pitiful.

Vanellope sighed again, louder, and looked at him angily. He kept smiling, oblivious.

"Fine." Vanellope turned and started to walk away. "Fine, okay, whatever. Lets just go."

Peppermark cheered, following her.

As they got to the exit, however, Vanellope heard the familiar sound, and her heart wrenched in fear. She, however, escaped the game, and she turned, her eyes growing wide.

Peppermark, as well, started to grow worried. A veil of electric blue came down as Peppermark tried to pass...and it shocked him, pushing him back.

Vanellope hissed, "No. Way."

"Wha...what's wrong with me...?" Peppermark's eyes darted to his hands, then to the exit, then to Vanellope, concern blooming in them.

"Peppermark...you're....you're a glitch..."