Chapter 1: A Chance at The Loft

Sofi and Kelly rushed into the jazz club and looked around. Sofi spotted a hand waving and they made their way through the crowd to a table not far from the stage. Sofi met her sister's harsh glare.

"Sorry, Mila," Sofi said, "Work got crazy and I swear I rushed as much as I could."

"Really, Mila, she was running around the apartment like a maniac," Kelly added, smiling shyly.

Sofi bumped Samuel on the shoulder, making him switch chairs so that she could sit next to Camila. "I'm here now," she said.

"It's just – I've worked so hard for this.  I've played so many open mic nights I can't even keep count anymore," Camila said, pouting at Sofi.  "This might be my big shot."

Sofi draped her arm over Camila's back and leaned in and gave her a big kiss on the cheek.  Camila teasingly protested then burst into laughter.

"Sofi, stop it," she said through her giggles.

Sofi pulled away but kept her arm around Camila's shoulder and smiled at her.  "You've been singing forever, Mila.  You're gonna kill it."

"I know, but it's easier when I sing covers and throw in an original now and then," Camila said, "Tonight the club manager said they want mostly originals and I can throw in a cover if I want. Even you haven't heard all these songs. My hands are shaking."

"Mila, relax," Sofi said, "Breathe. Pretend you're just playing at home."

"That doesn't work," Camila huffed out.

"Mila, what you're feeling is completely normal," Kelly said softly.  She took Camila's hand gently and waited for Camila to look at her. "Some of the most famous performers of all time have stage fright – Adele, Barbra Streisand, Carly Simon – they've all talked about it. But you get through it. Sofi really isn't giving bad advice, even if she has no idea what she's talking about. You need to stop focusing on what could go wrong and focus on the people here who are calm and relaxing. We love you and we love your music."

"Did I ever mention how glad I am that Sofi has a psychiatrist girlfriend?" Camila said, squeezing Kelly's hand and smiling.

"God knows the Cabello sisters need it," Dinah teased, making Harry and Niall laugh loudly.

"Hey there," Sofi protested, even as she was laughing along.

The club manager approached the table to let Camila know it was time for her to head backstage.  She took a deep breath and Sofi stood and engulfed her in a tight hug.

"Break a leg, sis," Sofi said, "I know you can do this."

Camila nodded and gave a small smile then headed toward the side of the stage.  The performer before her was on guitar and the club manager was busy instructing the stagehands to move the piano into place. Camila tried to regulate her breathing as she looked into a mirror hanging in the hall leading to the stage entrance. She had wavered over what to wear for the performance and finally settled on a dark blue vintage 1930s velvet dress.  It hugged her body but still let her move freely and she thought it matched the soft, sultry style she was going for in her music. She looked up to see the stage manager giving her a signal and she moved to the edge of the stage.

"Our next performer is from the nearby small town of Lakeview," the emcee announced, "She's been a hit at open mic performances in Chula Vista for a while now so we decided to bring her here to The Loft and give her a shot.  Please welcome Camila Cabello."

***********************

Lauren got out of her Uber in front of The Loft and nodded at the doorman.  He recognized her immediately and gave her a big smile as he held open the large wooden door.