Chapter 27: Going on Tour

Camila rolled her suitcase in her hand out to the van. Mike was waiting and politely took the case and packed it into the back of vehicle. Lauren threw Camila's pillow and a blanket onto one of the bucket seats and leaned in to tell Normani and Zayn hello. They chatted for a moment until Mike jumped back into the driver's seat and Camila came around to tell Lauren goodbye. Camila leaned into Lauren and held her tightly.

"I love you, darling," Lauren said, kissing Camila's temple as Camila buried her head in her neck. "We'll talk tonight."

"I'll miss you, Lauren," Camila said softly, leaning in for one last sweet kiss.

Camila could feel the tears building and could tell that Lauren was fighting emotions as well so she pulled back and turned to leave.

"Wait," Lauren said, pulling off her National University sweatshirt and handing it to Camila, "Take this."

"It's your favorite," Camila answered, her voice slightly breaking.

"That's why I want you to take it," Lauren answered, pushing it into Camila's arms, "Now go, you're gonna do great, Camz."

"Okay," Camila said, turning as she shut the van door, "Love you."

She closed the door and strapped into the seat and turned and watched Lauren as they pulled from the curb. The men were sitting in the front seat. Normani was reclined in the bucket seat across from Camila. She watched as Camila looked around for a way to adjust her seat.

"The buttons are on your right," Normani said, pointing.

"Thanks," Camila answered, finding the switch that reclined her seat. She laid back nearly all the way flat and propped her pillow under her head. She clutched Lauren's sweatshirt in her arms and tried not to be too obvious about the fact that she was holding it near her face so that she could smell Lauren's scent on the fabric. She could feel the tears in her eyes.

Normani looked over at Camila then unbuckled and knelt on the floor next to her seat and leaned in to talk to her closely. Mike was concentrating on the road and Zayn had in earphones and looked to be sleeping. Normani put her hand gently on Camila's shoulder.

"She texted me about a hundred times telling me what you like and what you don't like," Normani said, with a small smile, "She made me swear to make sure you're okay while we're gone."

"She did?" Camila said, unable to stop the small grin forming on her face.

"Yeah, she did," Normani said, "Camila, I've been doing this for a while now and it's never easy. People have to leave behind boyfriends and girlfriends and spouses and kids and it's really hard, but you'll get into the groove of the tour and you'll be okay." She rubbed Camila's shoulder softly and Camila was thankful for her being there.

"I think I'll just try to sleep for a while," Camila said, "I only slept a couple of hours and I think the exhaustion is making it worse."

"We can go nearly five hours before we need to stop for gas," Normani said, "Get some rest." Normani opened up the blanket Lauren had put in the van and draped it over Camila then returned to her seat and strapped in. She was relieved when she looked over a few minutes later and saw Camila, holding Lauren's sweatshirt, snoring softly. She took a picture and sent it to Lauren. The heart emoji response came immediately. Normani smiled and settled in for a nap herself.

*********************

Camila sat up and stretched as they slowed and pulled off the interstate. She read the sign for Baker, California and she took a deep breath and sighed.