Chapter 19: Family time

Camila opened the door and welcomed Sinu and Alejandro into Lauren's apartment. Sinu immediately took Camila into a long, warm hug. Alejandro followed it with a bear hug of his own. Lauren busied herself in the kitchen making sure that all the catered food was warm enough in the ovens and allowed Camila a few moments alone with her parents.

John arrived next and Camila welcomed him into the den. She called out to Lauren who walked in and joined them.

"Lauren, this is John Smith, my lawyer, and friend," Camila said, "I've told you all about him. John, this is Lauren."

"My pleasure," John said, shaking Lauren's hand.

"I think we'll be getting to know each other much better in the coming days," Lauren said, "Camila has a lot of decisions to make and we'll have to shore up some paperwork at LJM Records. I'm glad she has counsel she can trust."

Dinah, Harry, and Niall arrived next, all oohing and ahhing at the fancy apartment and teasing Camila about her rise to fame.  Sofi and Kelly followed closely behind.  When they were all present in the den Lauren brought out a couple of bottles of champagne and a tray of glasses.  Alejandro and Niall helped with the pouring until they all had full flutes in hand.

"I'd like to thank everyone for coming on such short notice," Lauren said, "And while we have a lot to talk about tonight I hope we all remember that first and foremost this is a celebration.  When Camila came to LJM she told me that her goal was to make music that speaks to people. Well, Camila, your music has spoken to nearly 10 million people so far. To you, Camila."

Everyone raised their glasses and clinked them together and toasted Camila, who was grinning happily but still feeling quite nervous about the changes in her life. Lauren invited them all to sit and suggested they talk about things before relaxing for dinner. Camila sat next to Lauren on the couch and Lauren smiled softly at her and let her go first.

"So, I guess you all know already that things have escalated pretty quickly," Camila said, "Once Adele mentioned the song on the podcast the video started getting a crazy amount of hits. I've had to make some pretty drastic changes because of it." Camila stopped and took a deep breath before continuing.

"I've had to change my phone. I was already getting some creepy messages on my old number," Camila said, "I didn't use particularly strong security on anything in my life before so Jade– she's works for LJM and is doing all my publicity – she helped me transfer everything and get secure. I have a new number and I'm going to text all you guys tonight so that you have it. I'm going to have to ask that you never give my number to anyone. If someone needs me then you can text me or call me and I'll get in touch with them."

Camila paused again, looking down at her new phone.

"Camila, I think I can speak for all of us," Niall, said, his voice calm but concerned, "We will do whatever you need to keep you safe. We are here for you."

Kelly looked at her brother and gave him a happy nod.

"Thanks, Niall, I know you will," Camila said, smiling at him softly. "Another change I've made is moving from my apartment. That also wasn't so secure, so for now I'm staying here. Lauren has extra room and this place has great security so I'll stay here for now."

"Camila, may I?" Lauren asked, interrupting. Camila nodded and Lauren continued, "I want you all to know that as long as Camila stays here you are welcome any time. We'll put your names down with the building security services. I want Camila to get the support she needs and you are all so important to her. Please consider this apartment hers as much as mine for as long as she is here."

"Thank you so much, Lauren," Alejandro said sincerely, "It's good to know Camila's somewhere she can feel safe."

"I want you guys to be safe, too," Camila added, "Lauren said that sometimes friends and family of celebrities can be approached by media and by fans."