Chapter 12: The first date, sort of

Camila insisted that she would get ready in the guest bathroom and let Lauren prepare for their date in the master bath. Despite the fact that they had spent the prior night and the whole day together Camila wanted it to feel like a date. Camila checked herself in the mirror one last time.  She was wearing charcoal slacks with a navy blue oxford and oxblood boots. She pulled out her dark suede jacket and dropped it onto the couch.  She knocked lightly on the bedroom door.

"Lo?" Camila called out softly.

"Just a minute, darling," Lauren answered.

Camila stepped back from the door and grinned, enjoying Lauren's pet name for her. She looked up as the door opened and her grin grew even bigger.  Lauren stepped out wearing a dark green form-fitting wrap dress with her hair down and slightly wavier than usual. Camila approached her slowly and gently put her hands on her hips and kissed her softly.  Lauren pulled back from the kiss and smiled.

"Does that mean you approve of the look?" Lauren asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Lo, you look beautiful," Camila said, staring intently at her.

Lauren felt herself flush. Camila's words were so genuine and Lauren heard the passion in her tone.  She rested her hands on Camila's shoulders and smiled at her softly.

"I'm so happy to go on a date with you, Camila Cabello," Lauren said softly.

Camila smiled and leaned in for another quick kiss then took Lauren's hand and led her from the apartment. They walked downstairs and Lauren was surprised to see Kelly and Sofi waiting out front.

"Is this a double date?" Lauren asked, suddenly feeling nervous.

"No, I wouldn't put that on you so quickly," Camila said, chuckling.  Sofi and Kelly approached and Sofi tossed Camila some keys.

"Just bring it back without a scratch when you come to dinner tomorrow," Sofi said, smiling at Camila then turning to Lauren. "Hey, Lauren."

"Hello, Sofi, Kelly," Lauren said.

"You two look great," Kelly said, "Have fun!"

"Thanks!" Camila answered, smiling.

Sofi and Kelly walked back to curb and Sofi hopped onto a motorcycle. Kelly got on behind her and when they both had their helmets fastened they rode away. Camila led Lauren to the Corvette Stingray and Lauren eyed up the vehicle as Camila opened the door for her.

"Very nice car," Lauren said, getting in and settling into the seat. Camila walked around and got into the driver's seat.

"Sofi got a great deal on it barely used and she treats it like a child," Camila said, laughing, "She hardly ever lets me borrow it so she must like you."

"Well, that's a good sign, but we could have used one of my cars, Camz," Lauren said.

"I asked you out and I want to take care of things tonight, Lo," Camila said, hooking her phone to the Bluetooth and starting a playlist.

"So, if this is a thing between us are you always going to claim you asked me out first?" Lauren asked, teasingly.

"Oh, I made all the first moves," Camila said, grinning as she pulled from the curb, "Starting with the kiss on the log."

"Yeah, well, I was flirting with you all week," Lauren answered, smiling, "That's why Mani kept making snide comments."

"I know," Camila said, "But I still made the first move."

"And I'm glad you did," Lauren conceded, grinning, "Where are we headed?"

"My friend opened a restaurant a few months ago and I've been wanting to take someone special," Camila said, "I texted earlier and she's saving us a table. It's not as fancy as M6 or anything..."