Chapter 22: The gala part 2

The auction was completed and the band began playing at the gala. Jack and Sofi returned from the bar with another round of drinks and everyone was enjoying themselves. The conversation flowed easily and the drinks had loosened up the whole group.

"Babe, you wanna hit the dance floor?" Sofi asked Kelly, who nodded happily.

"You guys gonna head out there?" Kelly asked the group. Normani and her date jumped up immediately but everyone else stayed in place. Camila gave Lauren a questioning look.

"I'm a terrible dancer," Lauren said, "Really."

"Maybe in a bit," Camila said, draping her arm over the back of Lauren's chair.

Jack looked at Sam and said, "I'm game if you want to go."

"After this drink," Sam said, holding up her full cup, "Laur, that'll be enough liquid courage for you too, right?"

"We'll see," Lauren answered, lifting an eyebrow.

Camila watched as Sofi flailed around the dance floor with Kelly smiling happily at her side. She chuckled and pointed them out to the group.

"Stay close to Sofi and you'll be just fine," Camila said, "Honestly, she has no rhythm at all."

"But look at Kelly," Lauren said, "Looking at Sofi like she hung the moon."

"They are adorable," Camila replied.

"How did they meet?" Sam asked.

"Through me, sort of," Camila said, "You remember my friend, Niall? He's Kelly's brother. She moved to Chula Vista and we all met her through him."

"How long have they been together?" Jack asked.

"Over a year," Camila said, "they just moved in together a couple of weeks ago."

The song ended and Camila immediately recognized the first couple of notes of Unforgettable by Nat King Cole. She stood from her chair and smiled at Lauren.

"Everyone can slow dance," she said with a smile, holding out her hand.

Lauren stood and followed Camila to the dance floor, which was filling a bit more with couples.  They found a spot and Camila put her hands on Lauren's waist. Lauren draped her arms over Camila's shoulders and they swayed together slowly. Camila moved one hand up and took Lauren's hand in hers and held it over her heart. Lauren looked up and smiled softly and Camila leaned in for a very quick but sweet, soft kiss. Camila turned their angle slightly and Lauren leaned up and whispered.

"Camz, look," Lauren said softly, turning them a bit again so that they could both look in the same direction.

Jack and Sam were dancing and whispering to one another.

"That does not look platonic," Camila said quietly to Lauren, making Lauren chuckle softly.

"I can't believe I didn't see it before with Sam," Lauren said, "I'm afraid I've been too wrapped up in myself to be a very good friend to her lately."

"Well then you should carve out some time for the two of you," Camila said.

"We have so much going on," Lauren said, "You wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not, Lo," Camila answered, "She's your best friend."

Lauren sighed and rested her head on Camila's shoulder.  The song was coming to an end and Lauren wished it would go on longer so that she could stay in Camila's arms.  As the final note hit Camila leaned down and kissed Lauren softly again.  Lauren pulled back with a big smile.