Chapter 6: God of Death

A/N: CONTENT WARNING! This chapter contains graphic depictions of murder and gore! I will be marking those parts with a A/N before AND after so you can avoid it if you want to.

Also no fan art for today because this chapter is too grim for that. Real A/N at the end of the chapter!

——

Ru removed his reading glasses with a sigh. He dropped the book in his hand and went for the next one. He'd been researching the cause and effect of illegitimate children and found little to nothing. He wanted to get to the bottom of why they die at a young age. And from the information he'd gotten, this has been occurring for thousands of years.

Ru stopped his thinking and rubbed his temples. He was exhausted. He'd been reading nonstop the last few weeks after returning home from the academy. The reason why he'd been working so hard was that Rael was turning 14 in less than a year. There wasn't much time left. He owed Rael so much that he forced his eyes to focus and read another page of [The History of Nobles and Royals].

'When the three Gods descended to Earth, they began creating life. They created two continents, Creatio and Forti. Creatio where life first began with animals, monsters, humans, dwarves, elves, beastmen, and many other species. They roamed the large continent but it began to become too small for the ever-increasing population. The Gods decided to send half to Forti, which mainly consisted of humans and monsters.'

'But when the monsters began growing stronger and overpowering the humans on Forti, the Gods were enraged. But they couldn't interfere as that would cause the world to collapse. And so they decided to give the humans their blessings so that they could stand against the monsters. Humans learned magic and the tide was quickly turned. Humans grew stronger as they overpowered the monsters instead. The Gods noticed that humans were growing too strong as all their children and grandchildren got magic as well. If they didn't put a stop to it, the humans would ruin the balance. And so the Gods made half of the humans lose their magic and they became... ordinary. The ordinary humans were now frail and had to be protected. Those who knew magic protected those who didn't and it grew into a system that separated them. Aristocrats and commoners.

'Royals were granted a higher title for their legendary contribution, like the 1st King of Tenn who slew a Kraken that nearly destroyed half of the continent. Or the Twin Kings of Hyle that destroyed a nest of hydras that were threatening to ruin the economy. Royals are merely aristocrats that achieved something unbelievable. And while—' Ru felt his head fall on the book. He groaned and raised his head. He had to continue, he couldn't stop now. He flipped a page as the book kept going on and on about things he already knew.

'Commoners never gained the ability to use magic again. As it was the will of the Gods, they were forbidden to access magic ever again. But when a few aristocrats began procreating with commoners in hopes that their children were to have magic again, the result was disastrous. Once they turned 14, they awakened just like aristocrats.'

'Except, on their awakening, those children got a high fever, their skin swelled and they were in intense pain. It continued until they eventually imploded. Since magic can't be used by them, the magic became a poison that slowly killed them from the inside. After a while, children of aristocrats and commoners were unsought as they'd die sooner or later.' Ru rubbed at his eyes.

So Rael was suffering through mein like he was? Then couldn't he just use the same method to save himself? Ru frowned. No, if that were the case, someone would've discovered it. Not to mention, when Ru got mein, the chances were less than 0,01%. Ru smiled bitterly. He must've hit the jackpot.

Ru had gotten mein but he'd lived with it for over a year. That meant that the mein didn't affect him as much, due to him being a pureblood royal, so it took a long time to kill him. Then that meant the more commoner blood you had, the quicker you died. Ru felt his ring. How long would Rael live if he wore this ring? Ru frowned. Not even a week. While the ring helped Ru immensely, it would barely hinder magic from destroying Rael from the inside.