Lesson in Etiquette [Filius Flitwick]

Filius Flitwick x Reader

Requested by Pri.

[Theme: Young Adult]

Deep breath... 

I took a noble bow before my opponent. They did the same. We stepped back to our appropriate spaces on the duelling strip that stood proud before the spectators. 

Feet in the right position. Read his language. 

My opponent and I took our postures and his hip arched inwards. Classic Dominic and his giveaways.

"BEGIN!" the announcer bellowed and the group went deathly silent in anticipation of the first move.

As I suspected, Dominic shunted forward and his wand shot a bright yellow blast in my direction. In the nick of time, I blocked his spell with a shield and the light vanished to no effect. Dominic looked incredibly frustrated at my denial of his charm.

He's distracted...

I fired a spell from my wand and Dominic's eyes were completely covered by a blindfold-like mask. 

"Gah!" he let out as he tried to get his sight back. He held his wand weakly in his right hand. He was entirely defenceless. 

Land the final blow... now!

With a quick adjustment to my posture, stunning scarlet left my wand and hit Dominic square in the chest which sent him flying back a few metres. His flailing body collided at heavy speeds with the platform and the blindfold was lifted from his sight. Nobody could tell where his wand landed amongst the crowd.

"Dominic Reid has lost his wand! The match victory goes to our reigning club champion, Y/N L/N!" the announcer declared and the crowd lept into cheers. 

With respect for Dominic, I went over and held my hand out for him to take. His usual neat light brown hair had turned into a messy crow's nest from the impact. 

*****

"Alright, a deal's a deal." Dominic sighed as he pulled out some money from his pocket and handed it to Madam Rosmerta. "Two Butterbeer please. One of them jumbo size." He had a miserable pout as she took the money with a cheeky wink.

The Three Broomsticks was remarkably quiet for a Wednesday afternoon. Barring a few odd customers, it was only Dominic and I.

"I told you it was dumb to challenge me. There's a reason I'm the champion and you're not." I teased and I flicked his forehead affectionately. 

He flinched back a little but let out a hefty chuckle. It was no secret Dominic and I had a strong sibling-like bond so him trying to always one-up me felt natural. 

"Okay, but it's not that fair. You've been good at duelling since before we left Hogwarts. I only got into it recently. On top of that, you have an aspen wand! That's, like, Ollivander's blessing to be an amazing duellist!" he complained as he plopped his dogwood wand on the table. 

I picked up his wand and held it to the light as if I was inspecting it like Ollivander. "You do know what they say about dogwood, Dom. A noisy wand for a noisy boy."

"Exactly!" he slapped his hand down on the table and earnt the passive-aggressive looks from others.  He was certainly living up to his reputation. "This thing doesn't do non-verbal spells unless I really focus. By then, you've already read my mind."

I patted his back sympathetically as he leaned his front on the table. He was such a child at times...

Dominic did have a point. When I received my wand at age eleven, Ollivander matched me with a wand made from aspen. It was a deep ivory-like colour and was well known to be the wand-type that many legendary duellists owned due to its affinity to charmwork. In fact, rumour has it that there was a legendary duelling club that only allowed those with aspen wands into their ranks.