Two Worlds Apart [Tom Riddle]

Tom Riddle x Reader

[Theme: Student]

A strange man came to the orphanage today. He wanted to see Tom. I think he was a doctor. Mrs Cole told me to stay away from Tom's room but I didn't want to listen. What if the doctor took Tom away? I didn't want Tom to leave. He was my best friend.

Mrs Cole and the others didn't like Tom very much but I liked him. He was different and interesting. He could talk to animals and move things with his mind! Sometimes, Tom would play a trick on the others, especially if they were mean to him. Mrs Cole knew it was him but she couldn't ever prove it because she didn't know what he could do. Only he and I knew. He trusted me.

I pressed my ear against the wooden door of Tom's room and held my breath so I could try to hear what they were saying. The man mentioned a lot of words that I didn't understand. What is a "hog warts" and "parcel tongue"? 

"Therefore, Tom, I'm offering you a position at Hogwarts should you choose to accept." the man said and my jaw dropped.

Without thinking, I flung open the door and ran in with tears streaming down my eyes.

"No! You can't take Tom away!" I yelled and stood protectively in front of him. I wasn't going to let him go. He couldn't go.

The man smiled sympathetically. "It appears we have a listener in. Will you tell me who you are?" he asked softly. 

"Y/N, and I'm not going to let you take Tom!"

I felt Tom gingerly grab my arm and make me face him. His expression was traditionally neutral as he was when others were present but I could sense a solemn thought in him. 

"Mister Dumbledore is going to take me somewhere better. Somewhere where I can be special and use my gift." Tom spoke reassuringly. He was vague but I understood what he was referring to... I think.

"But Tom... I don't want you to go." I said selfishly. Tom was the only person I had any form of real attachment to here. If he went... I'd be all alone.

"I can see you have a true friend indeed, Tom." the man remarked still holding his smile. "Y/N, do you want the best for Tom?"

I nodded my head hesitantly and wiped my tears on my sleeve. "Yes."

"The best for Tom is to come with me where he can live his best prospects. Do you understand that?"

I faced Tom and I could feel him telling me to let him go. This was more important to him than anything. ...I couldn't hold on to him forever.

"Yes." I said.

"Then Tom needs to come with me. If that is what he wants." The man's gaze left mine and went to Tom. Tom stepped closer to the man and stared him down.

"I do." he said plainly. 

"Excellent." the man said as he pulled his hands together. "I will go speak with Mrs Cole and prepare the arrangements. I suggest you two say your goodbyes." With that, he stepped out and left Tom and I alone.

"...Tom." left my voice weakly. I struggled to look at him. "Do you really have to go?"

"I have to see what is out there for me and I have to get away from here." Tom remarked but now that the man was gone, his genuine expressions returned. I could see the remorse painting his brow. 

Tom was never much one for hugs but I needed one and one I was going to get. I wrapped my arms around his taller frame to which he returned. 

"Promise me we'll meet again no matter what." I said feebly to him.