Awry Return [George Weasley]

George Weasley x Reader

[Theme: Young Adult]

Requested by: Elizabeth

It's funny. Years ago, if you said Dumbledore would ever die, you'd get laughter of disbelief. 'How could the most powerful wizard in the world die!?' they'd exclaim. It all seemed so impossible at the time.

Then we were forced to accept it. As every student and faculty member held their wands high in the air during the pouring rain, we had to accept that the world was changing forever. The man who was going to protect us all was gone. Nobody was safe. We had to find out own ways to survive. 

With Death Eaters at large, my family was no longer safe. My mother, a Muggleborn witch, was a prolific supporter of Dumbledore and fought constantly against His revival. She was a high-risk target and with the Ministry and Dumbledore gone, there was nobody left to protect her. 

It was decided merely a few days after Dumbledore's death that it was time for us to move to America, at least temporarily. Everything had been arranged for me to join Ilvermorny next September for my seventh year. I didn't want to go but it had to be done to protect her. That meant leaving behind my two best friends in the world: Fred and George Weasley.

I gave the two of them the strongest hug I could muster, trying hard to not shed any tears. "I'm going to miss you two so much."

"It's not like it's forever." Fred commented. "You'll be back before you know it."

I chuckled lightheartedly. "I sure hope so. I just wish the circumstances were different. If it weren't for Mum, I'd have stayed to fight with you."

George placed his hands on his hips, preparing to do his best McGonagall impression. "Miss L/N, you of all people should know that there is no possibility we'd ever allow underage wizards to fight in a war of all things!"

I patted his arm playfully. "Sheesh, after everything that's gone on, the last thing I want to imagine is McGonagall's safety speeches... and with Snape taking over... Maybe it's a good thing I'm moving to Ilvermorny."

With that in mind, I did wonder about how the twins would be getting on with a war overhanging them. It could last for a year to even decades. Even so, the world needed laughter. That was one of the first things the twins told me. They thought they could trick an innocent Ravenclaw third year with their products only for me to sniff out their schemes. Turns out they can corrupt anyone into the Weasley enterprise with good enough reason.

"It won't be the same without you telling us what products are missing to make them more potent." Fred remarked. "Did you take a look at what we sent you yesterday?"

Going to my bag, I pulled out a small array of products they had sent me to test. "You didn't think I'd leave you hanging, did you?" I asked rhetorically.

"Well-" Fred was about to say but one raised eyebrow got him to shut up.

"These ones seem fine but these could do with some more Horklump Juice if you want to really counter the earlier side effects." I instructed and the twins took feverish mental notes. "But... I should get going. Mum'll be wondering where I am and the sooner we leave, the better."

"We want to give you something before you go." George said and picked up a small red and blue box that read 'Happy Bubble Box' on the top before handing it to me. "It's a new kind of gum we're thinking of debuting soon but we wanted you to have the first successful sample."

"Guys..." I said with tears finally dripping down my cheeks. "You really are the sweetest."

Fred started, "Whenever you feel sad, chew some of the gum. It makes you spontaneously laugh. After all..."