Under His Guidance [Tom Riddle]

CONTENT WARNING: This chapter features emotional abuse and manipulation as a main topic throughout. If this makes you uncomfortable, please consider skipping this one-shot.

Tom Riddle x Reader

[Theme: Student]

Late-bloomers are incredibly rare; so rare that many disputed if they actually existed. Despite having two magical parents, it was possible for a child to be born without magic- becoming what is called a Squib. Not everyone develops their magical power at the same age, although it was commonly agreed that if a child didn't show at least signs of magic by the age of seven, they were likely a Squib.

This would especially be the case if a child was born to two Muggle parents. While Muggleborn students were possible so long as there was a magical ancestry, a Muggleborn late-bloomer had never been heard of before. At least, that was the case until my sixteenth summer, according to everyone who had told me such.

I lived a quiet and solitary life in the non-magical world. Went to school, spent time with friends, and had the occasional nip to the store with my pocket money to buy some chocolate. There was never an indication before that I had any form of magic. It came from nowhere.

On my return from school, I heard the sounds of a whimpering sort that were definitely not human. It wasn't uncommon for strays to wander the streets, so getting hurt wasn't a surprise. As the noise was relatively close by, I stopped to take a look. My heart dropped when I saw the scene before me.

A poor ageing cat had nestled itself within a bush outside of a home. There were small droplets of blood coming from underneath its stomach and I knew someone must have hurt it. Desperately, I wanted to do something and I felt sick to my chest knowing that its life was in my hands. 

I tore a bit of fabric from my cardigan and gently pressed it to the cat's stomach, hoping to stop the bleeding any way that I could. It was futile. Tears built up in my eyes and I understood it was time for its goodbye.

"At least you didn't have to go alone..." I whispered softly, trying my best to console it. "I wish... I really wish there was something more I could do."

As if the heavens heard me, a mile green light came from where I was holding the cat. Within seconds, the blood disappeared and the cat, suddenly realising it was okay, looked at me with confusion. It stood up and gratefully brushed my hand with its head. 

I could hardly believe it. It- it was magic! I rushed home, leaving the cat behind, and tried my best to make that energy come back. No matter what I did, I couldn't do it again, but I could feel it. It existed. 

The first thing the next day, I received a letter in the post. Holding the envelope shut was a crest I had never seen before with a golden H in the centre. Opening it up changed my life forever.

.....

My saliva choked my throat as I nervously swallowed it. Standing outside the tall office doors to Headmaster Dippet's office felt threatening despite knowing nothing bad would happen. Going through would mean solidifying this life. The life of being a witch. It was a horrible choice to make. One meant a life of discovery and figuring out exactly what I had become and the other meant a life of comfort but never understanding who I am. 

To turn back now would be an insult to my parents' approval. It meant everything to me and coming so far only to turn back now... I couldn't do that when my answers were within reach. Taking a deep breath, I steeled myself and allowed myself in.

An old man with blue and golden-accented robes was peering into what I could only compare to a church font. An ominous blue glow reflected off his face until he noticed my presence and gave an encouraging smile.