Act of the Century [Draco Malfoy]

Draco Malfoy x Reader

[Theme: Student]

Hushed whispers echoed around me. Some were calm, and some were panicked. Others were meek, while a fair few were directed and filled with authority. People's footsteps clambered around on the stone pavement. The waves nearby rocked whimsically, unaware of what was happening around them.

My heart felt as if it was going to explode. Everyone was waiting. Everyone would soon be watching. Was I really ready for this? McGonagall should've picked someone else. Anyone but me. Then I wouldn't be hurting like this.

My cerulean dress whipped around my knees in the wind. Any wrong step in these heels would send me plummeting into the waters below. While I could swim, I didn't want to test it with a face full of make-up and jewellery.

"Lights! Where are the lights!?" a student bellowed from behind the scenes. As he did, a string of fairies in bottles flew above me and wrapped its wire around the nearby columns. A hue of blue, pink, and green brightened the area.

"Get me an Amplifying Charm here, for Merlin's sake! Do none of you know what you're doing!?"

An older wizard ran towards me and tapped his wand on my throat. Knowing what would happen, I didn't dare speak the words I was holding back anyway. In fact, the boy seemed to know what I wanted to ask without me needing to say it.

"He's not here. We don't know where he's gone. MacNeary's on his last thread of sanity."

Where was he? It couldn't be... He hasn't abandoned me, right...?

Draco, what have you done?

.....

One Week Ago...

Late! How could I manage to be so late!? I knew I shouldn't have stayed up late eating pastries with Tina! But her parents are such good bakers! How can I resist when she gets an owl delivering hot tarts, freshly-made éclairs, and... and...

As the thought of food wafted through my mind, I almost tripped over someone's discarded homework, which was smugly marked with the sign of Professor Snape's 'Troll' declaration. If I didn't sprint faster, I'd be getting one of McGonagall's rarely given 'Trolls'! Or worse, she might transfigure a troll in front of me. She-she wouldn't actually do that, right?

With the last of my strength, I forced my legs to stride further and faster. My hair became a bird's nest in the flurry I left behind me, but I couldn't care. When the door to the classroom came into sight, I put on the brakes by digging my heels into the floor. If only it was enough to stop me from colliding face-first into the door and flinging myself through.

A large pain struck my stomach, knocking the wind out of me thoroughly as I collapsed on the ground. Several gasps and jolts of laughter let me know that, to my absolute anguish, everyone in the class had seen me arrive. For just a moment, I wasn't sure whether I'd prefer to get up and pretend nothing had happened or let myself decompose and become one with the earth.

Reluctantly, I got up and brushed down my knees. As I stared at everyone else, they stared back at me, quickly coming to a halt. I didn't see McGonagall anywhere, so I must have arrived before her. Thank you, Merlin, I don't think I could've handled another deten–

"How good-willed of you to finally join us, L/N," a stern voice spoke unfalteringly from behind me.

I blinked once or twice, trying to register how my death was about to occur and, if it was possible, how to avoid a painful one. Slowly, I turned around to see McGonagall, brows furrowed and hands clasped firmly together, with the most unimpressed expression on her face.