eighteen

◦⭒↜* save *↝⭒◦

❝ it's so confusing, it gives me a headache

TW! HINT AT ABUSE

▬▬▬▬JJ HAD JUST ADMITTED his feelings for Blue to Pope. He hadn't even admitted it to himself yet. They were sat there in silence, just sitting in the shock. Pope didn't know that JJ was capable of having romantic feelings for someone, especially another Pogue when he knows about the rule. JJ himself wasn't even aware of it.

The silence was a little awkward, and they were both not enjoying it. Pope, thankfully, decided to break the tension. "You really like her?"

JJ nodded his head. He ran his hands through his hair and sighed. "Dude, I've never felt like this. It's so confusing, it gives me a headache."

"It's giving you a headache?" Pope questioned, confused with how this could've given him a headache.

"Well, it makes me think too much. Like sometimes she'll hug me or touch my hand and it makes my insides do inside things."

"Glad to know your body's working." Pope said sarcastically.

"But then other times she'll talk to me like I'm her best friend, not someone that she would like. And then there's the stupid rule." JJ huffed as he kicked the ground lightly. "I don't know, man. I've never had this tingling feeling before. It's so weird. It's like normal things like the sky, grass, the waves, just...words are so much prettier. And like, I always have this giddy feeling like when I'm high, but I'm not high, dude, I don't know what's happening!"

"JJ, JJ, calm down." Pope calmly said. He had never seen his friend feel this way, nor freak out in this fashion. "Look, obviously you really like her."

"She's like the music the waves play when it crashes against the beach, man." JJ said as rubbed his face in frustration. Pope's eyes widened with slight surprise. "Wow, that was shockingly poetic. But back on track, does she actually mean a lot to you, or would this turn into one of those girls you just kick to the curb?"

"I'd rather live with my bitch of a dad for the rest of my life than hurt her." Pope crossed his arms and let out a deep breath. He then lifted his hat to run a hand through his hair. He knew JJ well, and he knew that JJ had a bad pattern with girls, but this was a new emotion, a new look, a new feel. Pope could tell that this may just be a love at first sight situation.

"Well, you can't go out with her because of the rule." JJ nodded his head and looked down at the ground in disappointment. "But, you've never been one to follow the rules."

JJ furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and looked up at Pope. "What are you talking about?"

"If you swear that you won't hurt her, and that you won't toy with her, or mess this up, then I can keep this a secret." JJ let out a slight laugh of disbelief. "Seriously?"

"Yeah, if you really like her, then I can keep this a secret. Just 'cause of the rule." A small smiled formed on JJ's face. "Thanks, man."

Before Pope could think to respond, they heard the sound of sirens from a police car. JJ immediately pushed himself off the tree as Pope ran to the car. JJ opened the back door as he watched Blue run towards them. She quickly got in the back with JJ close behind her. They waited a few seconds for John B and Kiara to come out of the lighthouse, but they didn't.

"Do we just go?" Pope frantically asked.

"It's better if two of us are caught than five." JJ reasoned and that excuse was fine with the other two since they were in no rush to get arrested.

"Fine with me." And with that, Pope immediately drove off. He went right past the police and thankfully, they didn't stop him. They drove far off and headed back to JJ's house. As they were driving, they were mostly worrying about John B and Kiara. Pope was in the middle of saying something as Blue's phone got a notification. She looked down and saw that her brother had texted her.

There was this dinner party that their dad wanted them to go to tonight. It was with one of his Kook friends. He's been very adamant about not telling anyone that he's broke, so these dinner parties make them seem like they have money.

"Oh, Pope would you mind dropping me off at my house?" Blue asked once Pope was finished talking. "Yeah, sure. Why though?"

"My dad is making me and my brother go to this dinner party thing with a bunch of Kooks. The Cameron's I think." JJ rolled his eyes at the mention of Kooks. He is definitely their number one enemy. "Why don't you just skip it?"

"You know why I can't skip it."

"Right." JJ obviously knows about her father, but the fact that Blue is so strong, it sometimes causes him to forget. He hated thinking about Blue being hurt. JJ couldn't understand how someone could hurt something so beautiful.

"Well, I'll pray for you. The Cameron's suck. Especially Rafe, god, I want to punch him in his stupid, handsome face." JJ spoke through gritted teeth.

"So I've been told, but I mean, I get good food, so I guess it won't be terrible." JJ then put his hands on Blue's arms and made her look at him. He spoke in a very serious tone, " Blue-Marie Rose Laurier, my sweet princess, I swear on my life that I will save you from the Kooks."

She let out a small laugh and moved to put her hand on JJ's jaw. "JJ whatever your middle name is Maybank, my love, nothing would make me happier." Blue laughed at the end assuming it was a joke. She leaned back against the seat and ran a hand through her hair. JJ bit his lip before saying, "I'm being serious."

Blue looked over at JJ with an expression that showed that she didn't believe him. So she asked for confirmation, "You're going to save me from a dinner party?"

"Yeah, I will." Blue laughed again and shook her head. "Okay JJ. What, you're gonna scale the walls? Ninja roll through the dinning room?"

"I will if I have to." JJ said with a smirk.

"Well, that would be fun to see." Blue said with another laugh.

"Be outside at nine, I'll be there." Blue raised her eyebrows, silently trying to tell if he was serious. JJ met her gaze and just tilted his head with a small smile. As soon as he did so, Blue felt butterflies flood her stomach. The such small action was the most adorable thing. JJ had been doing a lot of things like that recently. It caused Blue to question why she was reacting this way.

Blue had thought over the possibility of having a small crush on JJ Maybank.

⸺⸺◦⭒☼⭒◦⸺⸺