Broken Hearted Girl

She's hurt. The mirror lies to her. Who is she? What was she destined to be? Whose shoes should she walk in now? Shawn's? Ciara's?

'I made you breakfast and you skip out. You have never skipped out on breakfast for anything or anyone.' Sharon sounded like she wanted to understand what had gone down between Cookie and her daughter but she could only imagine. 'The sky was crying... I felt like it was crying for me. You know you were the only that could ever hold me tight to keep me from crying.'

'My faith was so strong.' Shawn pressed a finger to her temple. Her head ached from the long, sleepless night she had endured. The photo frame now rested on her bedside table. Sharon took notice with a sliver of surprise.

'What she did to you... Many  women are forced to do but it is a choice. She chose to carry out the pregnancy and she blessed our family with a healthy baby girl. I can't lie to you that she won't hurt or confuse you but I can keep those doors, my arms, and my heart open for you.' Sharon ran a finger through her daughter's curls. She never questioned how big their differences were until Cookie walked into their lives.

Shawn sighed heavily before stepping into her closet. She needed to clear her head and a drive was something she would really like to do at this moment.

After pulling on her coat and shoes, she stepped out in search of her car keys. They were now in her mother's hands. The silence that followed when they caught each other's eyes was so loud.

'Are you? I mean, it's okay to want... I jus thought.' Sharon couldn't form a complete thought but Shawn knew exactly what her mother meant.

She shook her head. Her hands outstretched to get the keys and they fell with a soft jingle.

--

Cookie swallowed her drink after finally getting a good look at the tramp that draped over her ex husband whichever chance she could. Boo Boo Kitty. Trying to hide behind all that make up and those rich-y, wannabe prima Donna ass clothes.

Her son Jamal was somewhere with his Mexican maid, Michael. Her youngest, Hakeem, was getting drunk before he was supposed to head to the studio. And Andre, her eldest, well he was behind his father with charts and numbers that he deemed important for the rise of the company.

And Shawn?

She hadn't rejected her but then again she hadn't been very forthcoming with the truth of everything.

Lucious was clueless to the fact that they shared a daughter but he was stuck on his own problems. He cared about no one but his damn self and the company he practically ripped from under Cookie. She helped that man start their dream and now she was merely a part of it.

'Cookie, I've been calling your name for the past five minutes. What are you drinking?' Bunkie asked. He looked tired but his eyes were lively.

Cookie gave him a sad smile as she got herself another round. 'I'm sure Lucious got you tracking me. He such a stupid ass. My own cousin... What wouldn't that man do?' She finished the rest before closing her table and paying the check.

Bunkie followed her out even as she wanted to just be left alone.

'I heard what prison does to a person. You shouldn't have had to go through that. Not for him.' Bunkie said it like it was so obvious.

Cookie knew what he meant but she couldn't agree. It had been her bad choices that three those years in her lap. All she could do now was right her wrongs. And she was going to start with one...

--

'Girl, what are you doing rolling up out here? Trying to get Officer Jackson's attention?' Keyla teased as she watched Shawn take another hit of her joint.

The air blew the smoke in a loud cloud that hit Keyla in the face, hard. She started coughing. Shawn smirked at the amateur smoker before pulling out a bag with some liquor inside.

'Ready to turn up or what?'