Chapter 33: ARC-V - PART 19

Leo Akaba stared at the monitor in total disbelief. He refused to believe what had just transpired. "Impossible! Ryo Marufuji, the Kaiser of Academia... defeated?! No! This cannot be!" He cried out in rage. Leo did not want it to be true. He could not see how this had happened. Ryo was unbeatable! No one had ever defeated him in a Duel! Not a single person was capable, even Ryo's former best friend was unable to pull it off. And yet, somehow, that bastard Kaiba actually took him down?!

Roget and Sanders were also stunned by the outcome, while Battle Beast was simply amazed by how intense the Duel itself was. However, none were were more shocked by the result than the Tyler Sisters. "Ryo lost to that guy?! I can't believe it! I never would've thought there was someone out there who could beat him! Seto Kaiba is something else!" Grace said in astonishment. Gloria was completely speechless.

'Ryo...' She never thought she'd see the day the man she loved would fall to another Duelist in battle. It just seemed inconceivable that anyone could have the power and skill to bring down the Kaiser. Yet, that's exactly what she witnessed. She hated to see her old boyfriend beaten after fighting so hard to do what he was forced to do.

Gloria's thoughts then turned to her sister as she stared at her. With Ryo defeated, she worried for Grace even more. Surely the Professor would make good on his threat to seal her sister. She imagined he would do so if he ultimately failed to capture Yuzu Hiragi. She then remembered she had received a message earlier, but had not read it yet. While everyone was glued to the image of Ryo laying on the ground, Gloria quickly peaked at her Duel Disk and read the contents... before smiling with hope.

"I know this is most unfortunate Professor, but all is not lost yet. My Gauntlet program still has one trick left we can use to our advantage." Roget revealed. Leo and the others turned to him.

"Explain." Leo ordered. Once the former Synchro infiltrator explained his backup plan, the Professor seemed less angry and more agitated. "Why haven't you informed us about this in the first place?" He demanded. Roget remained calm.

"I didn't believe there would be any need for it until now. This will not only insure our enemies won't escape, but they will be unable to communicate with other possible allies outside Standard." Leo nodded in approval.

"Very well. Do it, Roget." As the Professor's second-in-command proceeded to activate the Gauntlet's backup program, the screen showing the inside of the building had cut out. "What happened now?! Is your program malfunctioning again?!" Leo asked angrily.

"No Professor, it wasn't me! We've just lost the signal to our drone observing them! Something must have happened to it!" Roget guessed.

"Damn! Hurry up and get your backup up and running before things get worse!" Leo ordered.

As this was happening, Gloria sent a quick warning to the very people Leo wanted to contain. All the while, she hoped the plan she just learned will help protect Grace...

/\/\/\/\/\/\

Meanwhile, Ryo felt his whole body ache as he lay there, defeated, eyes closed. He also couldn't believe this had happened to him. No one, not even Yusuke, had ever managed to gain a victory against him in the past. 'I never imagined that I would ever come across a Duelist like Seto Kaiba. His confidence, skill, and power were unlike anything I had ever seen. If he was this strong, I can't even fathom how much stronger Yugi Muto and his three allies must be...' When he finally managed to open his eyes, Ryo's first sight was Kaiba standing over him. He lamented that he had failed to take this man down. 'Gloria, I'm sorry. I couldn't protect your sister. I just wasn't... strong enough.'